• 8(current)
v18 Implemented feature request for Music library extended artwork support
Well I went for the nice solution - showing the fallback album thumb when there is no specific song art both as you leave or return to that situation.  Fernet is happy, so I'm hoping I can take song info dialog as done.

A hopefully final test Win64 build is brewing, it will be on the mirrors for the antipodean (or insomniac ) members soon - look on http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windows/win64/ for 20180224-a945c8f -PR13533.  A quick user test would be appreciated, what  better way to spend a Saturday night, then I can merge with confidence and get on with the more interesting/useful album/artist info dialog art stuff.
Ohh geez yeah, my bad, the video library did previously do that... Sorry about that. It felt different because I was testing with a different skin.

That last build looks good with the images on the "Choose art type" dialog showing as expected when artwork is changed (even to/from the fallback image), and the "thumb" image is updated on the main nav window, but (sorry!):
Changing other art types doesn't refresh the main nav window (I tried "fanart" and "clearlogo"). They do get saved properly and navigating out of the list and back in shows the updated artwork, though.
did some testing on 20180224-a945c8f -PR13533.  I selected a song and opened "songinformation"  on a couple different songs.  Added 2 arttypes (cdart and logo).  Assigned and removed art for each of these arttypes.  Tested infolabel Player.Art(cdart) and for DBType Song ListItem.Art(logo) in my skin mod and it returned the correct path/filenames.  I don't see any problems with userrating.

scott s.
Thanks Scott & Ryan, saved me merging a boo-boo. This cold is getting the better of me. I can see the issue and easy fix.

Art that is not called "thumb" is not being updated in other places, and I did much of my testing using"thumb". Others testing stuff is always so valuable, thank you.
OK, here we go my testing friends: 20180225-5a406ae6-PR13533 Song Info Dialog art management one more time.
Moving forwards....
Artist and Album Information Dalogs

Say from the info dialog you change the artist fanart, or album CDart while a song by that artist or from that album is currently playing. Do you really want the art showing on the player to change? Or is it OK to not update art during playback?

In v17 and before album thumb changes are applied immediately to the current playing song, but only album thumb changes. In v18 (just done) changes to song art do get applied immediately to the song during playback, then it is very easy to identify the song. So my initial thoughts are to try and have currently playing song art keep up with artist and album art changes, but it would be nice to know if I am over working!

[Might be worth adding that the current album thumb for playing song update is done in a way Fernet won't like, not doing it at all will be easier than doing it right]
I'm always one for keeping it simple Wink I can honestly say that is not something that is important to me.

I change all my artwork without music playing.
Yeah, keep it simple. It would be nice to have but will probably lead to a whole new project.
If you go the simple route of not updating while playback is in progress then it might be best if the options allowing to change artwork are greyed until playback is stopped, in other words to not any artwork change wile playback is in progress. If you don’t block artwork updates while playback is in progress that then correct behaviour will be uncertain to the user so some will view it as a bug if player artwork is not updated.
@jjd-uk are you suggesting no "choose art" for any artist/album during play? I think that would be too restrictive, as it is nice to listen to music while doing your music lib manual art maintainance. Maybe you were just thinking for artists/album related to current song play, problem then is what happens as you play through a queue etc. and that changes.

To see the music info dialog you have to start on the library window listing artists or albums, not the player OSD, so the lack of instant update of the OSD item isn't noticeable. The library window will update, so not so sure that user will see it as "uncertain" or a bug that the player doesn't. After all they are used to the thumbs not appearing on the library window until you leave and refresh.

But good to have feedback. I'm shaking out some ancient bugs with this refactor too, all very productive if not fast!
@DaveBlake Like docwra I do all my changes when music is not playing so it makes no difference to me. My only concern was if if you change the artwork while something is playing, and only the Library listing artwork is changed, but not the artwork the player shows, then some users may find this to be unexpected behaviour and could view it as a bug, thus resulting in forum posts and trac bug reports about it. So yes I was suggesting greying "choose art" altogether out while playback was active, unless it can only be greyed out for currently playing items but that is probably reintroducing code complexity in another way. Perhaps my concern is completely unfounded however in that users won't be confused at all and will just accept that the player displayed artwork won't be immediately updated.
I'd agree only changing library artwork but not the currently displayed artwork would be confusing to the end user

Similar to issue I noticed with the play count the other day
(2018-02-26, 14:37)tkgafs Wrote: I'd agree only changing library artwork but not the currently displayed artwork would be confusing to the end user
 No worries Tm, the currently displayed artwork will change too. I know the user needs to see changes they make. When you are on the music info dialog your are 3 screen changes away from the player OSD. The art will change on the art type selection dialog, and on the album/artist info dialog that you can see behind it, and on the music library window listing artists/albums behind that, which you can't see in Estuary as the dialog is full screen but can see in Confuence.

The debate is over the player OSD - when you get to that would briefly still seeing some old artist fanart be confusing? I don't think it will, after all it is like that for years and I don't see complaints about it.

But if my choice is between restrictively disable "choose art "during playback (just in case the current song connects to the artist or album you are changing art for), or to update the currently playling item, then I'll update the item!! I think I know how to do it nicely, and  the current code has to change anyway.

Yes I asked for opinion, and I enjoyed receiving it, but that doesn't mean I always do what you say!!
Sometimes you have brilliant ideas or sway me, sometimes you don't, but do keep it coming. Makes me feel less lonely Smile

Every body forgets JSON..... and I try really hard not to.

JSON can be used by other apps to change the rating, art or other details for artists, albums and songs that are in the library. No attempt has ever been made to ensure that if JSON changes something that is currently playing then the current item gets updated. This has consequences: if you use such an app to rate a play song then you don't see it on screen. Yet if you do it via a Python script then you do.  Poor design Sad
(2018-02-26, 16:09)DaveBlake Wrote: I don't think it will, after all it is like that for years and I don't see complaints about it.
Ah I hadn't realised the player OSD artwork never updates at the moment if I've understood this right, if so then problem doing the simple if it's no change from existing behaviour for the player OSD.
(2018-02-25, 18:29)DaveBlake Wrote: v17 and before album thumb changes are applied immediately to the current playing song, but only album thumb changes. will be easier than doing it right]

(2018-02-26, 16:09)DaveBlake Wrote: after all it is like that for years and I don't see complaints about it.

Actually looking back I'm now confused exactly what current behaviour is and how the proposed changes would change it.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Implemented feature request for Music library extended artwork support0