AMLogic or not
Wink 
Hi all,

I went to the pick the right box thread but even if it says November 2017 update at the beginning, I was lost practically at the very beginning . It's said over there that "Dirt Cheap, Firmware unsupported, buggy Android Kodi Boxes from China (usually AMLogic). Really are a waste of time".

Now a little further down the post, there are recommandations for AMLogic S905X, S905D and S912 and all. I's even written that "Yes these cheap AMLogic devices are better than both the more expensive Intel "Lake" NUC's and the NVIDIA Shield for auto, mixed 1080p / 4K HDR Kodi Krypton."

It's confusing, to say the least. Did I miss something or what really is the state of the art as of now?
They are probably better if you use LibreELEC as the OS, not Android.
Odroid, Wetek, and other AML devices as named in that thread are okay. Best to avoid the others.
I think the devs here get irritated with the cheapies for a few reasons. They often come 'fully loaded' (piracy add-ons) and that is a support nightmare for Kodi. It also gives the project a bad name. They don't always get much support out of the manufacturers (only a few wifi chipsets are supported in Kazaq's LibreElec builds because not all manufacturers have provided Linux drivers) and they do come with lots of bugs. There have also been quality control issues. On the other hand, the LibreElec developers have been doing an amazing job in ironing out the bugs. 

As already mentioned, you generally need to install LibreElec on them to see them at their best and you should probably hang around for someone to recommend a specific box. I've got a couple of them. For the price they're amazing.
There is a whole thread on choosing these boxes in both this forum and the libreelec forum.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-18, 21:46)nickr Wrote: There is a whole thread on choosing these boxes in both this forum and the libreelec forum.

Hi nickr, are you talking about the pinned thread titled "pick the right kodi box?" It was actually the thread that confused me in the first place. As I said in the first post, there seems to be an inconsistency on the recommended processor and hardware.

Hi d'wooluf, I'm not after the cheapiest boxes and I perfectly the devs irritation about supporting the cheapies. But then, it wasn't quite clear from the 'pick the right kodi box' thread the recommended ones. Which boxes did you get?

Hi Doug, my confusion came from the fact that the 'pick the right kodi box' strated warning against AMLogic based cheap boxes and later on recommended AML devices ...

Hi Dalanik, what you mean is even if I get one Android box, I should replace it with LibreELEC?
(2017-11-23, 21:53)rivokl Wrote:
(2017-11-18, 21:46)nickr Wrote: There is a whole thread on choosing these boxes in both this forum and the libreelec forum.

Hi Dalanik, what you mean is even if I get one Android box, I should replace it with LibreELEC? 
Yes, LibreELEC should be more stable and faster than Android. If there is LE for your box. I have MQX pro but couldn't find LE that works for me... tried like 3-4 different but none would boot from SD card...

Hi nickr, are you talking about the pinned thread titled "pick the right kodi box?" It was actually the thread that confused me in the first place. As I said in the first post, there seems to be an inconsistency on the recommended processor and hardware.   
No I am talking about this one https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2208821 and this stickied one https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9759-c...#post61122
Quote:Hi d'wooluf, I'm not after the cheapiest boxes and I perfectly the devs irritation about supporting the cheapies. But then, it wasn't quite clear from the 'pick the right kodi box' thread the recommended ones. Which boxes did you get?

Hi Doug, my confusion came from the fact that the 'pick the right kodi box' strated warning against AMLogic based cheap boxes and later on recommended AML devices ...
times change, things get fixed.
Quote:Hi Dalanik, what you mean is even if I get one Android box, I should replace it with LibreELEC?
yes that is what he means.

buy amlogic android box
run libreelec from sd card or flash it with libreelec
job done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-11-23, 21:53)rivokl Wrote: my confusion came from the fact that the 'pick the right kodi box' strated warning against AMLogic based cheap boxes and later on recommended AML devices ...

Careful reading of the START HERE post #1 would have revealed cheap boxes running Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 from Firmware unsupported companies are NOT recommended. Marshmallow was highlighted and repeated at least 3 times to try are steer users away from such combos. AMLogic have had bug busted Android Nougat 7.1.1 out for a while now.

There was also a heavy emphasis on LibreELEC Kodi / OSMC and AMLogic, especially when talking about Bang for the Buck that I thought would have given people lots of choices and info

Hi d'wooluf, I'm not after the cheapiest boxes and I perfectly the devs irritation about supporting the cheapies. But then, it wasn't quite clear from the 'pick the right kodi box' thread the recommended ones. Which boxes did you get?
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I've got a discontinued model and a model which had had problems in the past with faulty RAM modules (but not on mine fortunately), so I really didn't have anything I could recommend.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMLogic or not0