nVidia Shield (2017), Kodi, HDCP and 4k....
Hi,

This question has been asked a number of times before but either I'm a bit stupid or there's never been a definitive answer Smile Hopefully someone with a similar setup can respond. Full details below, but basically what I'm asking is:

Does the nVidia Shield (2017 - Pro or standard) enforce a full HDCP 2.2 compliant chain to display a 4k picture or is it application dependant?

I recently bought myself a 4k TV (LG C7) and it's hooked up to my 2015 Yamaha RX-V677 AV receiver (some will see where I'm going with this already....).
The TV supports full HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. The AV receiver is more than capable of decoding HD audio and passing thru 4k were it not for it's lack of HDCP 2.2. The ARC return seems ok with regular DTS and DD, but won't send back HD audio via either apps like netflix or the LG media player. What this means is currently I have to watch 4k content at 1080p with decent sound, or 4k content at 4k with DTS/DD via ARC.

I'm reluctant to replace a perfectly good amp so was wondering if Kodi 17 will work correctly at 4k on the nVidia Shield if the chain isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant? So Shield (HDCP) -> Yamaha (no HDCP) -> LG C7 (HDCP)? I'd have audio pass-thru on so would expect the amp to decode any audio formats it supports (pretty much all apart from Atmos) and send the 2160p picture at the right refresh rate (I'll accept 24 for 23.976!) - the Yamaha would pass that straight thru top the TV. I know netflix, Amazon etc won't work - for now I'll just have to use the TV apps for those and accept the worse audio - this question relates to Kodi specifically on the Shield.

I currently run Kodi 16 on a Qnap NAS and it works great for 1080p stuff - what I'm looking for is a 4k solution that doesn't involve spending another £500 or so replacing a perfectly good AV receiver.

Thanks!
I have a V377, and no you cant get 4K and HD audio due to the AVR not  being HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2).  I really cant tell a difference between DD/DTS and HD Audio, so I just have everything running through the TV and then audio piped back to the receiver via ARC.  Id rather get 4K video over HD audio.  I'm in the same place you are, I really don't want to replace a 2 year old receiver that works just fine.
Bleeding Edge TV, and regular old Receiver. They call it Bleeding Edge, not because you get cut, but because of all the money you have to spend to stay on the Bleeding Edge.

Get yourself a 2017 or 2018 Receiver with HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2) and all your problems will go away.

Or you can wait and see if Nvidia can fix the issue with a software update (Who knows at this point). Either way, you will have to wait it out.

Ok, and 4K and 1080p resolution switching is having issues with the Current Shield software release (6.2), so that isn't going to work out to great for you either. Read this thread on what was fixed (added) and is still broke with the 6.2 update...
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...-22-2017-/
You could use an HDMI splitter that takes AV output from the Shield and sends  audio to the receiver and video direct to the TV.  Its not ideal but a lot cheaper.

For the record, I went the new receive route, far less hassle if somewhat heavy on the pocket! Well worth it.

Make sure you get the right splitter though, only certain ones seem to work, AVForums had a thread or two on this very subject.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield (2017), Kodi, HDCP and 4k....0