Nvidia DXVA 1080i deinterlace skipping frames
Hi all.

I'm running Kodi 17.6 on Windows 10 with an Nvidia NVS 4200m. I'm using the latest Nvidia driver R384 U5 (385.90).

When watching 1080i TV content and deinterlacing using DXVA, I get a lot of frame skips. The frame skips seem to happen more often during higher bandwidth (high motion) scenes. When things are really bad, it can be a few skips a second, and it's definitely noticeable to the eye. When things are slow, no skips.

In order to work around this issue, I've disabled hardware acceleration and I'm now doing all the decoding and deinterlacing in software. When using the software decoder / deinterlace I get smooth playback without skips.

I'm running on a machine with 8x 2.4GHz cores, so using software decoding, scaling, deinterlace, etc. isn't really a big deal. With hardware acceleration my CPU is at 2%, and with software it's at 10%, so I'm not in any trouble on performance and still have a lot of headroom. Getting the decoding back on the hardware is more of an optimization challenge.

I'm having a hard time believing that I'm exceeding the performance capabilities of the GPU. I'd think it should be able to do this work without any problem, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with my windows config, drivers, system setup, etc. This GPU is a bit old, probably 6 years old or so, but 1080i and deinterlace were very standard back then and I'd expect a GPU of that era to be able to handle decoding and deinterlacing 1080i content. Then again, for all I know I could be exceeding the capabilities of the GPU.

If anyone has an idea of how to troubleshoot this beyond what I've already done to get acceleration working right and get the workload back where it belongs on the GPU with DXVA deinterlacing, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia DXVA 1080i deinterlace skipping frames0