Google App Analytic in Addon
(2017-12-11, 14:29)null_pointer Wrote: correct, and I can also not find any documentation on it not being allowed.

That is what I am asking for, guidelines on what PII is and what can and can not be logged.

Rolling my own service I already have access to the IP address which is more than I do if I use a 3rd party analytic tool like Google analytics.

I guess my point is why ban an analytics service like GA, it is not going to add any extra protection to the user. Better collection guidelines would help I think.

ANY mechanism for tracking and collected data will not be allowed in the Kodi repository... Their are a few exclusions for error tracking, however these methods require user action to enable and the data provided is limited to error tracking, no need for IP and unique ID tracking.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
I feel the debug log should not fall under the data collection guidelines as it is a local and secure place to log info and sensitive data should be fine here. Ie host names and ip addresses.

The above example of a data breach is another good reason to use a 3rd party data analytics company as they base their business and lively hood on their reputation to keep your data and your users data safe.
(2017-12-11, 16:18)Lunatixz Wrote: ANY mechanism for tracking and collected data will not be allowed in the Kodi repository... Their are a few exclusions for error tracking, however these methods require user action to enable and the data provided is limited to error tracking, no need for IP and unique ID tracking.
That is not entity true and a good example of mixed messages, we don't allow it until we do is what you just said.

Even the default Version check is an example of data leakage if you want to be strict about it.

Anyway if that is the guideline, NO DATA COLLECTION AT ALL, then state it in the addon dev guidelines and then there is no confusion.
the version check addon does not collect and phone home _any_ data.
(2017-12-11, 22:56)wsnipex Wrote: the version check addon does not collect and phone home _any_ data.
 Yes good point, it was a bad example.

I guess the simplest way forward would be to just list somewhere the blanket rule, "No auto collection of data", if you want to collect error data you need to ask the user every time which I believe is what the addon in the second post does.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google App Analytic in Addon0