Req NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux?
(2018-08-07, 16:25)jjd-uk Wrote: And it's not just us fed up with what Nvidia does in Linux land https://drewdevault.com/2017/10/26/Fuck-you-nvidia.html

This crappy bug ridden EGLStreams driver is exactly what we'd also have to use.
 I can see where that would be problematic.   When I first heard of this it sounded like ffmpeg4 was already doing all the work, and if anyone just bothered to add the uni interface and command strings it would just work.   I did not realize it required special driver workarounds.  That's totally lame.

This is especially bothersome, since I have been a Linux user since the 90's, and in all that time, if you wanted flawless support under Linux, the one and only way was to buy Nvidia hardware and use the binary blob driver.   If you wanted bugs and poor performance, by all means try open source drivers on AMD or Intel hardware, but if you wanted something that just works and works well, Nvidia closed source drivers was it.

I don't like Nvidia as a company.  They always try to make everything proprietary and it always winds up hurting the consumer.  Unfortunately - however - if you are into high performing hardware, there is only one choice today, and that is Nvidia.   AMD's fastest GPU's perform like 4 generation old top line Nvidia GPU's, and Intel isn't even in the competition.  I fundamentally disagree with that author on this point:
Quote:Choose hardware that supports your software, not the other way around.

This is just wrong at every level.   For a general purpose computing platform, like the PC is, the software needs to run on all hardware.  Hardware always comes first, and no one should have to select hardware based on what software they want to run.  I mostly fault Nvidia here though.
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux? - by mattlach - 2018-12-19, 03:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVDEC (NVDECODE API) support in Kodi to decode 4K/8K 10-bit/12-bit HDR on Linux?1