Where are things at with 10bit HDR support?
(2017-12-27, 05:03)Flook Wrote:
(2017-12-26, 12:29)HeresJohnny Wrote: Maybe it only affects native Windows apps? Frustratingly, settings are all over the place now.

To get to the HDR toggle in Windows 10 I just right click on the desktop and go to Display Setting.  The toggle is right there....I just realized that the setting @jools5000  was talking about is different.  His looks like it works for Windows 10 apps but it did not work for me.  I had to toggle the display HDR and advanced color to On for Netflix to properly display HDR.  It looks lie my hdr content plays properly through Kodi as well then.

My TV then sees the HDR signal and properly displays HDR.  To bad I have to keep toggling it on and off depending on the content. 
Sorry, I have a HDR TV myself but are still waiting to upgrade the attached PC with a suitable graphics card for HDR, so this was a guess.
Another weekend spending hours and hours testing every possible formatt, TV settings, Windows 10 HDR settings, Nvidia Display Color settings, over and over and over. 

I think I'm at the point with the lack of support from Plex, Kodi, Windows 10, and Nvidia that I'm retiring my Home Theatre PC. 4k HDR has killed the HTPC. I'm going back to the built in Android TV in my Sony x930e. I'll have to cave and buy a receiver that I hate when I have an awesome Dared DV6 analog 5.1 amp but I don't think it's worth the headaches anymore.

Later Home Theatre PCs.
HTPC Specs:
95w 3 core AMD Phenom 8750 2.4GHz / MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 (MS-7411) Motherboard / On-board ATI Radeon HD3200 / On-board preamp 5.1 sound card / 4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 / 8GB SDRAM / CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W / SILVERSTONE Media Center HTPC Case / 1080p 42" Dynex LCD \ 5.1 Polk Audio Surround Sound - RM6750

Details of my fully automated, virtual Windows 7, HTPC setup here
(2018-01-02, 03:45)Flook Wrote: Another weekend spending hours and hours testing every possible formatt, TV settings, Windows 10 HDR settings, Nvidia Display Color settings, over and over and over. 

I think I'm at the point with the lack of support from Plex, Kodi, Windows 10, and Nvidia that I'm retiring my Home Theatre PC. 4k HDR has killed the HTPC. I'm going back to the built in Android TV in my Sony x930e. I'll have to cave and buy a receiver that I hate when I have an awesome Dared DV6 analog 5.1 amp but I don't think it's worth the headaches anymore.

Later Home Theatre PCs.
Learn about Kodi Dsplayer with MadVr and give that a spin?

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
(2018-01-02, 10:45)oldpainless Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 03:45)Flook Wrote: Another weekend spending hours and hours testing every possible formatt, TV settings, Windows 10 HDR settings, Nvidia Display Color settings, over and over and over. 

Later Home Theatre PCs.
Learn about Kodi Dsplayer with MadVr and give that a spin?

I would also recommend Kodi DSplayer/MadVR -combination, works great even for HDR-material. MadVR is able to send the needed metadata to your HDR-capable display and this toggling happens automatically, no need to manually trigger anything in Windows 10 settings.
Just noticed that you have already tried Kodi DSplayer+MadVR without success. It is very critical to use correct (not latest) NVidia-driver to get HDR-metadata sending to display work, 385.28 for example should work. Latest MadVR should be used also and I assume that you have configured the MadVR to enable HDR-passthrough. There should be no HDR-toggling (manual or automatic) needed in Windows settings as your display will use the inbuilt HDR-mode for displaying the HDR-content.
(2018-01-02, 11:46)goodton Wrote: Just noticed that you have already tried Kodi DSplayer+MadVR without success. It is very critical to use correct (not latest) NVidia-driver to get HDR-metadata sending to display work, 385.28 for example should work. Latest MadVR should be used also and I assume that you have configured the MadVR to enable HDR-passthrough. There should be no HDR-toggling (manual or automatic) needed in Windows settings as your display will use the inbuilt HDR-mode for displaying the HDR-content.
 Is there some "noob" walkthrough guide to getting MadVR+DSplayer to work?  I've tried using MadVR before and it drove me nuts with all the configuration and no real explanation as to what they all do.

I don't mind "rolling back" my Nvidia display drivers to get HDR to work but I would like to see if there is any real difference with all of this HDR / Non HDR ....

Later Home Theatre PCs.
 Lack of support?  W10 and Nvidia are the innovators.  Working perfectly here.  Has been for a year.  Instead of "testing" what you think is "everything possible" and concluding HTPC's aren't worth the headache, follow some guides and working examples.  Others have already wasted weekends to provide YOU freebie thankless help.  If you can't follow instructions written for a 4 year old because it's too much bother, let alone access free software components developed with no compensation in mind other than knowing it helps others, you aren't accomplishing anything except discouraging folks from providing continuous support any longer.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-01-02, 16:22)Usafle Wrote:
(2018-01-02, 11:46)goodton Wrote: Just noticed that you have already tried Kodi DSplayer+MadVR without success. It is very critical to use correct (not latest) NVidia-driver to get HDR-metadata sending to display work, 385.28 for example should work. Latest MadVR should be used also and I assume that you have configured the MadVR to enable HDR-passthrough. There should be no HDR-toggling (manual or automatic) needed in Windows settings as your display will use the inbuilt HDR-mode for displaying the HDR-content.
 Is there some "noob" walkthrough guide to getting MadVR+DSplayer to work?  I've tried using MadVR before and it drove me nuts with all the configuration and no real explanation as to what they all do.

I don't mind "rolling back" my Nvidia display drivers to get HDR to work but I would like to see if there is any real difference with all of this HDR / Non HDR ....   
Warner306 has created this massive guide, although originally based on Kodi 16, still valid for the most part and the discussion is still going on:
222576 (thread)

But yes I agree, there is lot to tweak in Kodi DSPlayer 32-bit + MadVR -combination. But just to try the HDR-functionality, this should be quite straight forward. Just noticed that in my setup the NVidia graphics driver is actually 382.53 at the moment and the HDR-switching ON/OFF is 100% reliable. graphics card is GTX1050 Ti. This switching happens automatically on TV-side if a video file has the needed HDR-metadata, which MadVR will sent to display (LG OLED-TV in my case). In practice LG will inform that TV is in HDR mode and quite many settings will be grayed out and set automatically for HDR-use. On Windows 10-side the HDR-switch is all the time off.

Additionally with LG, the used HDMI-input need to be defined for a Ultra Deep HD Colour Mode. This of course differs between manufacturers. In MadVR 0.92.10 the HDR-setting is in pass-through mode and Send HDR-metadata -option is selected. I use the Full Screen Exclusive-mode in MadVR but this is not mandatory for HDR. Additionally D3D11-mode is in use. Although there is lot to tweak in MadVR for better video quality and some of those will need quite lot of GPU power, for HDR there is no additional tweaks needed. Even the NVidia-settings for color bit depth, pixel format or full/limited color space is not that critical for this test, although finally these need to be setup correctly for best picture quality and for the limited bandwidth of HDMI 2.0b-standard.

If this setup is taken into real use, also the refreshrate changing should be left to MadVR but should not needed yet for basic HDR-testing.

EDIT: This MadVR-specific guide by Warner306 (again) is even better:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188
I didn't change anything in the madvr settings initially, only installed madvr and chose DXVA2 (copy back) in the DSPlayer video settings in Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where are things at with 10bit HDR support?0