Req 4K! UHD!! HDR!!! Video Output Support
With 4K, UHD, and HDR becoming more and more common is there any chance for Kodi to start actually supporting 4K, UHD, and HDR video output. I'm running Kodi on my Android Box and when connecting it to my
LG G7 the Maximum Resolution is 1080P with no way for me to change it (as it's greyed out). Also on that note how about Setting up DOLBY ATMOS.
Kodi already does support 4K playback, however the UI might be limited to 1080p (most boxes can't handle the load to render Kodi UI in 4K). So when you enable refresh rate switching in Kodi settings, and your boxes firmware does support it, the video should be rendered in native 4K. I personally don't own a 4K TV, but I know it's f.e. working on the SHIELD and AFAIK FireTV (boxes that have required support for it in their firmware).
(2017-12-28, 12:37)TwistedFaith Wrote: With 4K, UHD, and HDR becoming more and more common is there any chance for Kodi to start actually supporting 4K, UHD, and HDR video output. I'm running Kodi on my Android Box and when connecting it to my
LG G7 the Maximum Resolution is 1080P with no way for me to change it (as it's greyed out). Also on that note how about Setting up DOLBY ATMOS.
I have the same issue. Sony 49" 4K UHD HDR Android TV... and the resolution is greyed out in the system option and set to 1080p. There is no way tell if the video output really is native 4K but I do think there is difference in quality between the 4K content from Netflix and 40GB 4K video playing from the NAS... the tiny compressed Netflix video looks much more detailed. This cannot be a device limitation, this is surely a bug in Kodi as the TV has proven itself far more capable of displaying more detailed video as the Netflix stream proves. 

Just gotta put Kodi in hiatus and find a different app to play video until the problem is fixed.
I don't know the in's & out's of HDR etc but perhaps you could look into Libreelec  https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9759-c...box-guide/

although I don't think there is support for Netflix on Libre

If you like to tinker, you can try it out on a sd card or usb, which means android is not affected
The resolution displayed under "system -> video" in Kodi, is not your OS resolution but the resolution the UI is rendered in on your Android box. If you want to know in which resolution your TV is running, check the TVs info screen!!!!

So, put your Android box into a 4K resolution in the OS system settings. Launch Kodi and even though in Kodi's system settings you'll see 1080p your TV and Android will still be running in 4K. And since on Android the video rendering is decoupled from the UI rendering, any 4K video will be also rendered in 4K by Android due to surface rendering.

tl;dr; ignore what Kodi is showing in system->video and trust the Android OS settings an your TV's info screen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K! UHD!! HDR!!! Video Output Support0