v17 Hide unavailable library items
Hi everyone,

I would like to know if there is a (hidden) feature in Kodi to hide unavailable library items.
I've stored media files on several external hard drives.
When i connect a hdd and refresh the library, the contents are added to the library.
But when i remove the drive, the contents remain in the library but (obviously) i cannot play them.

Is there a way to hide the unavailable library items?
The only work-around i could think of, is installing the "watchdog" add-on.
But then contents are removed from the library and it takes a long time to refresh the library when connecting a external hdd again.
Therefore it would be better if it was possible to simply hide the unavailable items instead of removing them.

I'm using Kodi 17.6 on Windows 7 by the way.

Thanks!
Not that I know of any hidden feature like that

Moved to feature request subforum
Oh ok.
I asked because I found a similar feature request thread from 2015: 234548 (thread) Which requests the same functionality.
So I hoped this was already implemented.

It would be great if an option can be added which selects how to handle non-available library items, for example:
1. Show items (like it is now)
2. Hide items
3. Gray-out items

I think this would greatly improve the usability of kodi in combination with external sources.
(2018-01-02, 14:57)Zundapp47 Wrote: Oh ok.
I asked because I found a similar feature request thread from 2015: 234548 (thread) Which requests the same functionality.
So I hoped this was already implemented.

It would be great if an option can be added which selects how to handle non-available library items, for example:
1. Show items (like it is now)
2. Hide items
3. Gray-out items

I think this would greatly improve the usability of kodi in combination with external sources.
 This would be great! there have been to many times i want to watch one of my movies and for some reason It's not in its folder, but still visible in my library
Just get a proper file server and put your drives in it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-03, 11:31)nickr Wrote: Just get a proper file server and put your drives in it.
I don't want to build a file server that is always up and running when Kodi is running.
I use several harddrives to store media which I only watch once in a while.
It should be ok to simply connect a (external) harddisk and that the media player (Kodi) automatically adds/removes the media when it is available or not.

Even with a file server, the amount of media can become very large and it takes a long while to scroll through the library.
Therefore it would be a nice feature if Kodi can only show the content which is actually available.
The problem may be how would Kodi actually know if it's available or not without actively going and checking each individual item and confirming?

With a large library that would take a very long time and would need to be done every time you open up a library, or at least when you put the selection on each item in turn. That would significantly cripple the user experience by inducing delays, especially as a time-out would be needed to allow for legitimate and accessible media to be correctly read from drives that may need time to spin up and be available.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-01-03, 15:05)DarrenHill Wrote: The problem may be how would Kodi actually know if it's available or not without actively going and checking each individual item and confirming?

With a large library that would take a very long time and would need to be done every time you open up a library, or at least when you put the selection on each item in turn. That would significantly cripple the user experience by inducing delays, especially as a time-out would be needed to allow for legitimate and accessible media to be correctly read from drives that may need time to spin up and be available.

I don't think this has to take up that much time. It can be combined with the update library event, and can be processed on the background.
You could also think of something clever like: first checking if a source folder exist, if not remove all items linking to that folder from the library view, afterwards checking individual items.

The beauty is, when it is an option the users can decide if they want to use it or not.
It would depend on how often you updated the library, as of course servers and connections can come and go much more quickly than many people will update their libraries.

And if you allow a 10s time-out, a normal screen full of items could take a couple of minutes or more to check depending on how much could be done in parallel. Also processing through a large library (multi-thousand items are not uncommon for some users) would still be time-consuming.

It's certainly an interesting idea and something that could be useful to some people though.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
The beauty of kodi is that you can contribute this if you want it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I agree that connections can come and go much faster than people update their libraries.
My initial thought was to detect the availability of items when the update library function is triggered. Users can trigger this manually, at startup or periodically using a (watchdog) plugin.
It doesn't have to be updated real-time.
In the event that a source is not available but was not updated yet, it can still report the error like it does now, but then the user is triggered to manually update the library.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience programming such advanced software as Kodi, and also don't have the time (recently bought a house which requires some work), otherwise I would attempt to build this feature myself.
But i think it is a bit out of my league.
Looking at the way Kodi sources are handled, you could have video sources drive dependant (with exported meta-data) and a denial of scraper, and no-scan would allow access to the sources with artwork when online through file mode. (alas library searches, only include library listings).

Alternately; a front end home page custom remake with smart playlists could be defined by source drives; even with multi-profiles some with removable sources delineated.

There was some material regarding using Media flags (wiki) for external sources, but it goes a long way back in the threads for the scripting and my link to it, is no longer. Oops here it is https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=96183

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hide unavailable library items0