logfiles found, how to paste them to hosting site?
I wouldn't run that command to be honest. We first need to know if the user wants that version of Kodi or not. I guess that some deps might not met Because looking at the crashlog he pasted before, I see, that he has 17.6 installed already. So there might be leftovers which might cause the installation to fail.

So @Wade Patton  which Version of Kodi do you want to install and why did you add the kodi-old repository? Did you had any problems using Kodi 17.6? For what I see, you seem to have problems with the addons database. to fix this just rename the existing .kodi folder: mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi-bak and restart kodi. This is comparable to a factory-reset and all addons, settings and scraped movies are gone (stored in the kodi-bak folder...so not lost).

But please let us know which Kodi version do you want to install.
(2018-01-02, 00:13)DaVu Wrote: I wouldn't run that command to be honest. We first need to know if the user wants that version of Kodi or not. I guess that some deps might not met Because looking at the crashlog he pasted before, I see, that he has 17.6 installed already. So there might be leftovers which might cause the installation to fail.

So @Wade Patton  which Version of Kodi do you want to install and why did you add the kodi-old repository? Did you had any problems using Kodi 17.6? For what I see, you seem to have problems with the addons database. to fix this just rename the existing .kodi folder: mv ~/.kodi ~/kodi-bak and restart kodi. This is comparable to a factory-reset and all addons, settings and scraped movies are gone (stored in the kodi-bak folder...so not lost).

But please let us know which Kodi version do you want to install.
Okay thanks, but I already did the previous thingie.

Here's the https://pastebin.com/M716C61C

I updated to 17.x because 15 simply wasn't working as well as it had been.  After getting 17 going, with the vastly improved menu system, it became sketchy and I added more repositories trying to find content that'd run. Kodi got worse, and then somehow regressed to 15.  Then I deleted (attempted to remove) a conflicting program that I only looked at once and had no use for.  Then Kodi started failing to load and I tried all sorts of "repairs" and made a big stinking mess of it. To get to this point where it would not install for me.

I LOVE the 17 version, have never seen the 16 version ( I think I tried to get it to work, and that's where -old came from) and really don't care which it is so long as I can watch some shows. I watch old tv and movies mostly. I have no television and only use Kodi and Youtube for "tv" content. 

Now that "I'm here" and can probably sort through the 17 issues with your guidance, I'd certainly prefer 17, but would whichever version I can get to run with some stability.  Also I had updated my Mint installs and thought Kodi would be better, not worse thereby.
Also, now 16 loads up fine.  Yuck, looks like 15.   Let's bump it up to 17.6, thanks--or try to.
(2018-01-02, 00:49)Wade Patton Wrote: Also, now 16 loads up fine.  Yuck, looks like 15.   Let's bump it up to 17.6, thanks--or try to.
 So is "update" all I need to do for 17.6? I never have understood all the commands from instructionals. 

I'll try to wait, because I don't want to get it all akilter again just yet.

thanks.
(2018-01-02, 00:49)Wade Patton Wrote: Also, now 16 loads up fine.  Yuck, looks like 15.   Let's bump it up to 17.6, thanks--or try to.
  So is "update" all I need to do for 17.6? I never have understood all the commands from instructionals. 

I'll try to wait, because I don't want to get it all akilter again just yet.

thanks.
(2018-01-02, 02:07)Wade Patton Wrote:
  So is "update" all I need to do for 17.6? I never have understood all the commands 
well I ran update and upgrade, but get the same Kodi.  what do I have to do now to get to 17.6.  I'm not mixing sources of info any more. 
From the Wiki here: 1.3 Upgrading "update, upgrade".   then what?    

I don't care anything about development/nightly/etc builds and all that stuff.  I just want a 17.6 that runs.

Does it require a reinstall after update & upgrade?

+++
BUT now I'm looking at the Wiki here for Linux and it states that 17.4 if the lastest stable version.  How do i install 17.4 and not 17.6?  Or is that page accurate?  Thanks.
You need to install the standard kodi stable ppa
Code:
sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi

Please do not follow random crap you find on the internet, including youtube. This is covered in the wiki. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...tributions
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-02, 06:48)nickr Wrote: You need to install the standard kodi stable ppa
Code:
sudo apt install software-properties-common
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi

Please do not follow random crap you find on the internet, including youtube. This is covered in the wiki. http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...tributions    
 Yes, thanks.  But when the Wiki doesn't explain or make sense or WORK for me, I tend to look elsewhere-as I did last night.  I dug around in the threads here. I found a thread with a stack of commands that looked appropriate and and I used them, figuring we could fix it all today if necessary.  Fantastically enough, it's not necessary and the stability of 17.6 last night was as good as any.  Why it runs better now than before may be a mystery forever, but I'll take it.

I've been trying to learn more about what exactly does what--such that I don't find the wiki here or the words of programmer-types so difficult to follow.

The commands I ran last night got 17.6 running fine--so I watched a few shows.  Here's what I did--just for reference sake. (mine mostly).  I'm suppose they all weren't necessary, but I've no idea why (but will eventually).

Because this person was trying to "upgrade" and the OS was similar, I followed this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...ht=upgrade

where he said:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
then
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
then
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and it all works fine, but then my history command doesn't return that!  Utterly confused because I was certain about following that sequence. Oh well. I know I did.

I realize that this is all sub-pedestrian stuff to you folks, but I've got to figure it out to a higher level, like fifth-grade or something. Just finding lists of Linux commands has been helpful, and I'll pursue more of that. Thanks for all your patience. I don't know how "we" did it, but it's done. I've  been computing since my first 286 (actually my roommate's 8088-he made a career out of it), but never pursued actual code-mangling, I had other plans.

I hope the Wiki was outdated and wrong that 17.4 isn't the proper stable version for the Mint I'm running, or that we can patch it up here if it gives any trouble.

this is what history says I did-and my source of confusion.  Thanks to all who helped. I greatly appreciate it.
Exactly which wiki page?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2018-01-02, 21:22)nickr Wrote: Exactly which wiki page?
 Section 1.4 under Linus FAQ's  found here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Linux_FAQ

which states:

1.4 Kodi for Linux version The current stable version of Kodi for Linux is Kodi v17.4 Krypton....
Thanks, I'll get that fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
logfiles found, how to paste them to hosting site?0