Linux ubuntu - playback randomly stops and scrubbing almost impossible over smb/cifs
Hi There

Currently having severe issues playing media back via Kodi when location is via smb. If media is on usb locally attached drive, there are no issues at all.

I have recently moved from a Windows based old acer revo, to an Intel NUC running ubuntu and never had these issues before.

Are there some settings i need to change either in kodi or the OS to make this work? 

Thanks
No, there are no such settings.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-02, 23:35)fritsch Wrote: No, there are no such settings.
 so any issue resides outside of kodi? 

at the moment file transfer/throughput speed tests are showing results in excess of what is required to play the file back so I'm a little confused?
First post your Debug Log - here we see if something else stalls. Then write what kind of network setup you have (wireless, wired?) - are you using kodi's samba or do you mount it with the OS?

For kodi's samba I'd suggest you using v18 (nightly ppa) iirc I fixed some very big legacy performance flaws for SMB performance during this development cycle
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-01-02, 23:51)fritsch Wrote: First post your Debug Log - here we see if something else stalls. Then write what kind of network setup you have (wireless, wired?) - are you using kodi's samba or do you mount it with the OS?

For kodi's samba I'd suggest you using v18 (nightly ppa) iirc I fixed some very big legacy performance flaws for SMB performance during this development cycle
Great, thanks.

Debug log - https://pastebin.com/1HWQ7ysA

Everything is connected via 1Gb Ethernet. Currently using Kodi's samba (I think) as I need it to be a universal access for my viewing machine upstairs. However it is mounted locally under /media/dan/xx_path_here_xx/   The system we are discussing updates mysql database that is viewed by other clients, so I am assuming that the path I use in this kodi, must be accessible by other kodi's in the house?
That is also not a complete, full debug log.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Could you post it again without cutting the header? All the important information is in those lines.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ubuntu - playback randomly stops and scrubbing almost impossible over smb/cifs0