v17 Kodi 17.6 on Raspbian sometimes freeze at launch on "Preparing... 0%" library update
Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry for the bad english, it's not my primary language :-)

I'm using Kodi 17.6 on a raspberry PI (Raspbian distribution). 
Kodi connects to samba shares on a Qnap NAS.
I've activated the option that scan the media library at every launch.

Sometimes (quite often), on Kodi launch, there is a "Preparing... 0%" message in the top right corner, instead of the progress of scanning.
I can navigate in the menus, but when I launch any movie or try to access a source, Kodi freeze (the mouse cursor still move, but every thing else is not responding).
I need to reboot the RPi, and then Kodi works fine.

I can disable the automatic scan of the library at launch, but I'm not sure this will fix the problem.

I've tried to configure the source path by using the IP adress instead of the NAS name, I was thinking of a DNS resolution problem, but this doesn't fix the problem.
I've disabled all of the add-on that are not "official".
Maybe an hint: when I restart the RPi, re-launch Kodi and when everything works, there is message in the top right corner that indicate that the IMDB scrapper addon is updated (I don't have this message every time). 

Several questions here:
- Is there anyway to prevent Kodi from freezing when it can't access to samba shares for any reason (if this is the reason of the freeze, of course)?
- Is there anyway to kill Kodi without rebooting the RPi or accessing to the RPi with another machine in SSH or VNC? Maybe a keyboard shortcut or something?
- Why Kodi have sometimes problems to connect to the NAS (the RPi himself connect succesfully to the NAS with the web interface)? Is there any way to diagnostic the problem?
- Do you think this problem maybe comes from the IMDB scrapper updating? Maybe two tasks (updating the scrapper and the library scan) that dead locked the system?  I have not find any way to disable this scrapper, maybe because it's the default one?

Unfortunately, I don't have any log in Kodi to share...

Any advice?
Thanks in advance !
Reduce the timeout. It's 180 seconds by default. Make it 10 or something via advancedsettings wiki.

Btw. it is nice that you take the time to write a wall of text :-) But please next time, just include your Debug Log. Additionally if you are capable of doing that, a gdb thread apply all from the hanging kodi - with that one can really help. It's like the difference between a shaman and a real facts based MD ... shaman's fix you need to believe or it won't work, the MD's you can prove and verify.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you for your help, I'll try to provide a debug log.

What parameter do I need to change to "reduce the timeout" in the advancedsttings file ? And what this timeout do exactly?
And sorry but, I didn't understand your "a gdb thread apply all from the hanging kodi" remark. What is a gdb thread ?? Something related to a debugger?

As you see, I'm new to Kodi and not very familiar to Linux :-)
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<samba>
  <clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout>
</samba>
</advancedsettings>

Goes to ~/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
you might want to play with http://kodi.wiki/view/Wake_on_lan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.6 on Raspbian sometimes freeze at launch on "Preparing... 0%" library update0