• 3(current)
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD
Nope, it's still kodi's problem. As the same assumption that breaks our own Packer is not giving Android's Packer enough "bytes" at once... if you remember the key issue was, that there are packages received that on average are fine, but some of them are a bit "larger".

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...k.cpp#L284
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Btw. while at it, do you see: "CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of %u bytes" in the log when you use kodi's IEC format?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hey fritsch, yes exactly that message.  I just tried playing back the Frozen II UHD disc as that has easily repeatable stutters always at the same timestamps and I see this:

php:
2021-02-28 18:02:02.051 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2676 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:02.224 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2594 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:06.427 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2572 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:06.670 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2570 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:06.842 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2578 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:07.075 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2594 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:07.077 T:22807   ERROR <general>: CDVDAudioCodecPassthrough::AddData - truncating TrueHD frame of 2570 bytes
2021-02-28 18:02:07.332 T:22556   ERROR <general>: CAEBitstreamPacker:TongueackTrueHD - truncating TrueHD frame of 2558 bytes

Here's the full debug log just in case it's useful.  Playback starts at about 18:00 then I skip around to find a problem scene and hit a particularly bad area of the movie (19min 37s) at log timestamp 2021-02-28 18:02:02.051
Yeah, that was expected and is exactly the issue we have.
Hey fritsch, do you know why ancient SPMC works fine and Kodi isn’t? That’s still strange to me.

Thanks for all your help on this,
craigr
I just finished setting up my home theater and ran into this while watching Gravity Lossless Passthrough...It's sad that it's been around that long, I guess my only option is to go the PLEX route which I have been trying to avoid since XBMC
(2021-03-19, 16:13)danillll Wrote: I just finished setting up my home theater and ran into this while watching Gravity Lossless Passthrough...It's sad that it's been around that long, I guess my only option is to go the PLEX route which I have been trying to avoid since XBMC

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  I would recommend the Zappati SE:
https://www.zappiti.com/appiti-one-se-4k-hdr

Not nearly as dynamic as Kodi, but it works, is simple, and is much better than PLEX.

craigr
(2021-03-19, 17:43)CIR-Engineering Wrote:
(2021-03-19, 16:13)danillll Wrote: I just finished setting up my home theater and ran into this while watching Gravity Lossless Passthrough...It's sad that it's been around that long, I guess my only option is to go the PLEX route which I have been trying to avoid since XBMC

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  I would recommend the Zappati SE:
https://www.zappiti.com/appiti-one-se-4k-hdr

Not nearly as dynamic as Kodi, but it works, is simple, and is much better than PLEX.

craigr

@"CIR-Engineering" I just bought a shieldtv pro, do you know if they provide just the software?
Can you start a new thread or PM each other if you want to discuss alternate media players and their software please?

edit so as not to junk up this thread even more:  Zappati players as an alternative are absolutely not relevant to the topic at hand, by all means mention it and post a link to the Zappati thread in the Hardware section and then continue discussion there. If there isn't a Zappati thread, create one, link to it and take the conversation there.
(2021-03-19, 17:52)beeswax Wrote: Can you start a new thread or PM each other if you want to discuss alternate media players and their software please?

What we are discussing here might be relevant to other people who are hitting this bug, checking this thread and need an alternative/temporary solution.
At one point in time I contributed to the XBMC project, so I am very attached to KODI and would love to see it fixed.
My family watched the new PIXAR Soul last night and there were two or three brief audio dropouts in Kodi.  So add that Disney title to the list.

craigr
I just confirmed that this is not an issue with Plex! I am listening to Beatles-Abbey Road -Atmos with no issue on Plex; in comparison, on Kodi you will notice a dropouts every few seconds.
So plex is a valid workaround while waiting for the Kodi fix
recently bought a Atmos AVR and setup the speakers only to run into the problem with audio drop outs when watching movies. I've been using kodi for a very long time on different hardware, win/rasp and now Nvidia Shield 19, but this is the first time i have the drop out problems. Tried all tips I read about from changing HDMI cable etc. No luck so far. Also tried plex which runs without drop outs ... 

Should one conclude that this is a bug in KODI that might get a fix later on?
(2021-03-28, 13:21)fnac Wrote: recently bought a Atmos AVR and setup the speakers only to run into the problem with audio drop outs when watching movies. I've been using kodi for a very long time on different hardware, win/rasp and now Nvidia Shield 19, but this is the first time i have the drop out problems. Tried all tips I read about from changing HDMI cable etc. No luck so far. Also tried plex which runs without drop outs ... 

Should one conclude that this is a bug in KODI that might get a fix later on?

It is a bug in Kodi and how it packs and delivers the audio stream to shield/android.
There is a bug on github, but I think the fix is not straightforward and there is not too many users asking for it. 

I hear ya, I switched to Plex after almost 15 years with XBMC/Kodi
This is and has been a known issue for some time. See, for example Atmos Dropouts Thread.

It was not addressed in Kodi 19.  It affects all systems I believe (Windows, Android, etc.).

It is likely that the number of users running Atmos (including myself) is likely a small portion relative to the variety of other issues resolved in Kodi 19 - they added HDR to Kodi 19.

Hard to complain because it's free.  I am not a coder myself and would not have the time to learn enough to try and implement the suggested fix either. As such, I'm left with the somewhat less elegant Kodi 17.7 DS Player with MadVR and updated filters to get HDR passthrough and Atmos that doesn't drop out.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD0