• 7(current)
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD
(2021-10-12, 09:29)hoppel118 Wrote: Hi guys,

I recognized that MakeMKV made some changes regarding TrueHD some time ago:
Quote:MakeMKV v1.15.4 (8.12.2020)
Implemented seamless joining of TrueHD streams with overlapping frames based on Dominik Mydlil's idea: https://github.com/domyd/mlp

I don’t know, if this „idea“ regarding TrueHD also includes Dolby Atmos (TrueHD).

But I think it’s worth trying to remux problematic atmos movies.

EDIT: The "idea" seems not to solve the issue completely. There is a thread in the MakeMKV forum discussing new problematic atmos movies.

I am not a developer, but seemingly this is solved for: Maybe the at the moment not available (Android) Kodi (FFmpeg) Developer can use some of the above information. Wink

With German atmos (truehd) audio tracks I didn't have such audio drops until now.

Regards Hoppel
Everything you have in this list has been done tried and gone over. The problem is a known issue with Kodi. It’s Disney titles and the other companies they own only. All of their recent releases will have drop outs with atmos pass through.

Regards,
craigr
I own a video engineering firm, ergo I understand video.
Kodi Signal Chain: Nvidia ShieldTV (2019) > Lumagen Radiance PRO (video output) > JVC RS4100 Projector, Paladini DCR, 2.40AR 128" Wide STK1.3 G4
                                                                                                                           (audio output) > Lexicon MC-10 Pre/Pro > 2x Lexicon LX7 Amps
(2021-10-10, 20:36)fritsch Wrote: There are some of the new TrueHD encodings, which have larger framesizes and only on average are within the amount that kodi allows. That's a kodi IEC packaging / Parser / Syncer bug on all versions, yes - though this has zero to do with "normal" TrueHD / Atmos Drop-Outs.
I thought that was the issue being discussed here too? Smile Most of the early posts in this thread seem to be about this general issue, not anything specific to Android.
Question: Does this happen on DTS-MA tracks as well?
(2021-10-17, 02:06)KrispyKreme Wrote: Question: Does this happen on DTS-MA tracks as well?

No. It’s a big specific to high bitrate truehd tracks. Non atmos tracks don’t experience the bug because their bit rate isn’t high enough. That’s why it only affected some atmos tracks.

Any dropouts on dts-ma are due to other reasons.
(2021-10-10, 01:05)apguy Wrote:
(2021-08-16, 23:55)KrispyKreme Wrote: I said this time and time again and I don't know if its ever gonna get fixed. Its becoming a real issue especially with a lot of movies. Plex has had this issue fixed for some time. Is there a reason why Kodi hasn't done the same thing? Has anyone made a specific build that fixes the issues?
Massive issue and getting worse and worse with more atmos movies.

Free Guy is the worst example I've come across.  Completely unwatchable in atmos.  Have to turn off bitstreaming and send 7.1 PCM instead sadly.  Hopefully the devs decide that it is important enough to fix.

Tried watching Free Guy in 4K BluRay, had to turn it off, Audio Dropout all the time. Kodi 19.2 (Windows 10)

Maybe someone in the dev team should wake up and fix this, if its been a problem for years!?
HTPC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 | AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT | 32GB DDR5 6000 | 2x WD Black SN770 1TB + 182TB HDD.
TV/Audio: LG OLED CX 77 | Yamaha RX-A3070 | 5.1.2 Atmos Speaker Setup

Software:
Kodi: v21.0 Omega | Skin: Madnox.Redux v21.00.11 | OS: Windows 11 Home
(2021-10-17, 17:55)Simkin84 Wrote: Maybe someone in the dev team should wake up and fix this, if its been a problem for years!?

That attitude is really going to inspire someone to give up their free time.
(2021-10-17, 18:13)Hitcher Wrote:
(2021-10-17, 17:55)Simkin84 Wrote: Maybe someone in the dev team should wake up and fix this, if its been a problem for years!?

That attitude is really going to inspire someone to give up their free time.

I agree with the attitude yes, but the fact that it’s been around for years is where the attitude comes from, maybe focus more on fixing bugs and less on the next version with he same bugs
What seems to be the challenge? I can donate or pay if it helps, but more and more UHD disks will come with high bitrate Atmos tracks, so that would make Kodi useless for people with this kind of setup.

Is there any work in progress on this at all?
HTPC: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 | AMD Radeon RX 7600 XT | 32GB DDR5 6000 | 2x WD Black SN770 1TB + 182TB HDD.

Software:
(2021-10-10, 20:36)fritsch Wrote: There are some of the new TrueHD encodings, which have larger framesizes and only on average are within the amount that kodi allows. That's a kodi IEC packaging / Parser / Syncer bug on all versions, yes - though this has zero to do with "normal" TrueHD / Atmos Drop-Outs.

I have recently found out about this problem and am working to handle these "special" TrueHD streams correctly (worked on it for my own interest since it also affects the Windows platform). 😉

I have a patch that already works and is based on the current ffmpeg code:

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/tree/fix-TrueHD

Some detail remains to be polished but tested with "Free Guy" and all the dropouts from the first minutes have gone.

It seems that there is still a issue (memory corruption/overwritten), not in the MAT packer but ActiveAESink it does not allow send a packets un groups of 24 in a buffer of TRUEHD_BUF_SIZE and for now they are divided into two groups of 12 as workaround. I have to investigate it more but as it is now works fine.

EDIT  Windows test build (v20):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pygyhxetf...4.exe/file
(2021-10-17, 19:09)jogal Wrote:

I have recently found out about this problem and am working to handle these "special" TrueHD streams correctly (worked on it for my own interest since it also affects the Windows platform). 😉

Some detail remains to be polished but tested with "Free Guy" and all the dropouts from the first minutes have gone.

It seems that there is still a issue (memory corruption/overwritten), not in the MAT packer but ActiveAESink it does not allow send a packets un groups of 24 in a buffer of TRUEHD_BUF_SIZE and for now they are divided into two groups of 12 as workaround. I have to investigate it more but as it is now works fine.

Nice work mate! I downloaded it from github, but its alot of folders. Could you give a quick how-to-install on this?

Does it work on V19 also?

Thanks!

Software:

I have recently found out about this problem and am working to handle these "special" TrueHD streams correctly (worked on it for my own interest since it also affects the Windows platform). [emoji6]

@jogal

You are indeed a legend if you can write a fix for this issue. I’ve been tearing my hair out and considering other players. I’ve tried looking at the code myself but i am not a good enough coder.

If you’re able to get the devs to include it in an official release you’re a world saver.

@fritsch is a dev for the audio engine. Hopefully he can help making it official.
jogal is also a Kodi dev. Wink

Great work! Testing on OSMC now and so far so good!
Could anyone please share how to install this? And does it work in current V19?

Again, thanks!

Software:
(2021-10-18, 08:44)Hitcher Wrote: jogal is also a Kodi dev. Wink

Ah awesome. Thank you
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD0