Fire TV 3rd Gen
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good Kodi box, and I would also like to get Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime Videos 4K.
Seems like my options are limited and some of the options are WeTek box or the latest Amazon Fire TV.

Before I go and pay the extra for a WeTek, I would like to explore the cheaper option of an Amazon Fire TV.

How well is Kodi running on this box?
Can Kodi benefit from the s905 SoC and use the hardware decoding?
Is HD audio passthrough supported?

Should I go with the Fire TV or opt for a WeTek Hub?
(2018-01-24, 09:56)JoeJoeH Wrote: Hi all,

I'm looking for a good Kodi box, and I would also like to get Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime Videos 4K.
Seems like my options are limited and some of the options are WeTek box or the latest Amazon Fire TV.

Before I go and pay the extra for a WeTek, I would like to explore the cheaper option of an Amazon Fire TV.

How well is Kodi running on this box?
Can Kodi benefit from the s905 SoC and use the hardware decoding?
Is HD audio passthrough supported?

Should I go with the Fire TV or opt for a WeTek Hub?

If you don't need streaming add-ons, or local playback from USB media, in Kodi - then the ATV 4K will do Netflix and Amazon Prime in 4K with HDR (and frame rate switches automatically unlike the nVidia Shield TV, the Wetek boxes - which now don't auto switch on streaming services last time I checked etc. The Fire TV has flaky frame rate switching support ISTR). The ATV 4K has a forked version of Kodi in the App Store called MrMC. This is basically an optimised build of Kodi for the ATV, but doesn't include Python support (as that would be in contravention of the App Store rules), and thus as most add ons are written in Python, it doesn't support them, though there are binary PVR add-ons bundled - which work fine). The ATV4K doesn't have a USB port so locally connected media isn't an option - but if all your content is sitting on a server, it's a pretty good fit. 

There are some reported issues about HDR support in MrMC not preserving source metadata (and replacing it with fixed values)
I can confirm that the Apple TV 4k was doing very well on all those requirements, just that it has the most awful remote on the planet, just my 2ct, thankfully you can still use any other infra-red remote, though you loose Siri functionality.
I'm pretty sure the latest Fire TV is one of the worst "Kodi Boxes" out there, there are a few threads about them on the forums if you do a search.

One such example https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=323715
Yes there is an already existing thread:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322081

(2018-01-24, 12:41)Vlaves Wrote: I can confirm that the Apple TV 4k was doing very well on all those requirements, just that it has the most awful remote on the planet, just my 2ct, thankfully you can still use any other infra-red remote, though you loose Siri functionality.
Ha ha, I'll add 2 cents and raise you to 4 !

Yes I'm still struggling with the remote as well. I really need to buy one of those grippy rubber covers for it to bulk it's size up a bit and make it easier to hold in the hand and maybe easier to use as well.

The Siri remote is god awful. If you buy atv, toss that sucker away as soon as you are done with the initial setup.
(2018-01-24, 15:16)ozkhan1 Wrote: The Siri remote is god awful. If you buy atv, toss that sucker away as soon as you are done with the initial setup.

I did exactly that. Bought a old Apple TV silver Remote as it is working out of the box.

Also tried the Xiaomi Bluetooth Remote and it connected immediatelly and it is super responsive of course, just the buttons are mapped sadly wrong and that can‘t be changed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV 3rd Gen0