Solved Decreasing Streaming latency
I am looking for a way to decrease the latency of an rtsp stream.

I have the camera creating the rtsp stream directly connected via ethernet to my Kodi device and it has about ~1 second delay between the camera filming and the Screen showing it.

When using VLC to connect to a network stream you can "Show more options" and decrease the network caching. My observations are such that this directly changes the delay between the camera filming and the program displaying it.

I am aware that it is not possible to reduce the feed to exactly real time, camera takes 80ms to output over HDMI, then you add in encoding and decoding etc. I am able to bring VLC down to ~300ms latency which I assume is the best I can get.

Is there an option in Kodi, to decrease network caching?
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache
I appreciate being linked to a possible solution however I am already familiar with the Wiki page on how to modify the video cache. It seems to solve the exact opposite problem as the one I am having, where Kodi is storing extra video so that the user doesn't experience buffering.

The only setting that decreases the time from input to output is setting the read factor to 1. Everything else does not decrease this time. I have tried buffering and no buffering, as well as lots of memory and no memory.

So is there any other way to decrease latency or does Kodi just have approximately an extra half second of processing streams built into it?
other then setting the cache to off? no
Okay, well then. Thank you for the information none the less.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Decreasing Streaming latency0