Both TV and MCE remote controlling KODI on RasPi causing problems
Since upgrading one of my Raspberry Pi 3's to LibreELEC 8.2.1 with Kodi 17.6 I've had problems with the controls.

I have a Windows MCE remote control I've been using for years, and since upgrading one of my Pi's I've found the TV remote has been meddling with KODI, I now have the following two problems with my remotes:
  • TV remote controls KODI
    • this is adding to an existing problem with volume as my TV remote is already controlling the television and soundbar as it is
    • turning off the TV turns off KODI so I can't stream to my laptop
    • using smart TV functions controls KODI in the background causing problems
  • KODI remote has a kind of repetitive echo effect, so pushing up or down more than once results in an additional torrential spam of that same button press meaning I can only see the top or bottom of lists if I don't push the button pausing for ages in between.
I don't have this issue with my other RasPi running the same version but installed fresh rather than upgraded. I've tried a fresh instal on an extra SD card but when I then recover my profile/library/favourites information from my backup whatever setting that is causing the issue is reloaded as well.

If anyone is able to shed some light on this situation for me, I'd be very much appreciative.
As for the TV-remote issues: verify the CEC settings in Settings->Input->CEC Adapter. There are options to disable poweroff etc.

As for the MCE issues: make sure you don't have any leftover cruft in autostart.sh that messes with lirc. Also make sure that Lirc is disabled in LibreELEC Settings->Services. LibreELEC supports MCE remotes out-of-the box. If you are using a GPIO IR receiver all you need to do is to add "dtoverlay=gpio-ir" to config.txt - make sure you are not using the lirc-rpi overlay.

so long,

Hias
(2018-01-28, 14:06)HiassofT Wrote: As for the TV-remote issues: verify the CEC settings in Settings->Input->CEC Adapter. There are options to disable poweroff etc.

As for the MCE issues: make sure you don't have any leftover cruft in autostart.sh that messes with lirc. Also make sure that Lirc is disabled in LibreELEC Settings->Services. LibreELEC supports MCE remotes out-of-the box. If you are using a GPIO IR receiver all you need to do is to add "dtoverlay=gpio-ir" to config.txt - make sure you are not using the lirc-rpi overlay.

so long,

Hias
 Hi, thanks for the reply,
I've played with the CEC settings and it doesn't appear to have made any difference.
when I change the channel away from KODI, or load up YouTube the TV remote is still operating KODI and messing around with things in the background, even though it's set to ignore.
My autostart.sh is empty, and if I were to disable Lirc, will I not just lose the function of my MCE remote?
I have a good old fashioned USB remote control that has the Windows Media Center Edition logo on it (remember those!)
I've never had to fiddle with any settings or ever ssh into the Pi to get the remotes to work correctly so I've not tampered with any config files to clean up.

I need KODI to go back to completely ignoring my TV remote.

I'm still quite stuck.
I can't help much with CEC, I'm not really familiar with it. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

As for the USB MCE remote: these are supported without the need to run Lirc. Lirc is only needed in very rare occasions nowadays (if you want to use some really odd remotes) and if it's enabled in LE settings it can interfere with proper operation of your remote. So check if Lirc is off in LE settings.

Note: when disabling Lirc in LE settings you might momentarily loose remote support until the RPi is rebooted. In that case use the TV's remote (CEC) or an USB keyboard to reboot the RPi or ssh in and enter "reboot".

so long,

Hias
(2018-01-29, 01:48)HiassofT Wrote: I can't help much with CEC, I'm not really familiar with it. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

As for the USB MCE remote: these are supported without the need to run Lirc. Lirc is only needed in very rare occasions nowadays (if you want to use some really odd remotes) and if it's enabled in LE settings it can interfere with proper operation of your remote. So check if Lirc is off in LE settings.

Note: when disabling Lirc in LE settings you might momentarily loose remote support until the RPi is rebooted. In that case use the TV's remote (CEC) or an USB keyboard to reboot the RPi or ssh in and enter "reboot".

so long,

Hias
 wow thanks for your help, 
so far disabling Lirc appears to have solved everything.
My TV remote is only controlling my TV, excellent.
And like you said, although initially it stopped working on turning off Lirc, my MCE remote started working again on reboot, so I don't need Lirc; and bonus, it doesn't appear to be having the repeating input glitch it had before!

I'm guessing Lirc and whatever is taking the remotes input now were both accepting the remotes input and would send multiple commands to the GUI when they went out of sync causing the repeating glitch...

I'm going to run it for a bit longer to confirm it's solved, then if all goes well I'll figure out how to close the thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Both TV and MCE remote controlling KODI on RasPi causing problems0