Missing art, bad thumbnail and no data on Information screen
I have a title that was scanned into the library and had the correct Information screen, Extended Information screen, proper artwork and proper thumbnail in the Movie wall.  Then I added it as a favorite and maybe played around with some of the artwork options in the skin (Estuary MOD v2 with Kodi 18 nightly) - I cannot recall exactly. At some point the thumbnail on the movie wall changed from the movie poster to a random scene from the movie (still frame in the thumbnail).  I do not want this and wanted to get the thumbnail back. And I noticed when I went into the Information screen it said "unavailable" and all the info on that screen was blank. If I went into the Extended Information screen then the artwork and posters and all the info was correct.

The file name (I use the option for file names not folder name) matched identical to TMDB. I choose Manage->Remove From Library and it was gone. To try and fix it I did a Library Clean, and then Scanned the source for content. It picked it up again the same problematic way, with the still frame as the thumbnail and a blank Information screen. I then removed it from the library and cleaned it again. This time I renamed the folder and file name to a random movie that matches TMDB which is not in my library. I scanned it again and it STILL picked it up as the real movie and had the same still frame as the thumbnail.  It's as if the data is cached somewhere. But I don't understand where, and can't understand how it say it as the real movie even though I renamed the file and folder!

I'm at a total loss on how to fix this and was thinking of completely removing Kodi and starting over, but I figure I better learn what is going on and fix it the right way, because if this was to happen again I cannot keep starting over from scratch. Smile

Can someone please let me know what is going on and how I can correct it? And if I still can't figure it out based on your instructions, what is the best way to clear out the library and make sure I am starting from scratch with a rescan and nothing cached etc, because that may be better than uninstalling and completely reconfiguring my skins and add-ons etc. Like is there some sort of "rebuild database" command, or is that the same as remove the source and re-indexing, or might there still be cached data around from that? It is so confusing because at first it had everything correct, then somehow I must have changed something and from that point no matter what I tried I could not get the Information screen and thumbnail back.

Thank you.
It gets even weirder - I decided to start over. I deleted all my sources, told Kodi to remove all items from the sources, it refreshed its library, and I went back to the Movie section and it was blank as expected (except for Generas section still had old stuff listed). I then added the sources back in and EVERY movie came in with a static image from the movie as its thumbnail and every movie no longer has anything in the Information screen.  What do you think is going on? Short of completely uninstalling Kodi and starting from scratch, is there something else I can do? It's almost as if the scrapper is deciding to pull information locally or only has some info. Yet it is pulling the beefart for the extended info, apparently.  Also the logs have nothing other than Kodi Started.
Fully cleaning the thumbnail buffer is done by deleting the Textures13.db file, as well as the Thumbnails folder. Restart Kodi and the cache should be rebuild over time.
There is also the Texture Cache Maintenance utility to speed up things.
They are some pretty extreme steps to take for a single wrong piece of artwork. A debug log (wiki) that captures the problem would have helped us to help you solve it.

If you are still having problems, then provide the debug log (wiki)

Also, apart from describing the problem... you haven't provided any information that helps. Have no idea what version Kodi, what platform and version, scrapers used, folder and file structure, where artwork is coming from... you get the idea.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-29, 21:53)Karellen Wrote: They are some pretty extreme steps to take for a single wrong piece of artwork. A debug log (wiki) that captures the problem would have helped us to help you solve it.

If you are still having problems, then provide the debug log (wiki)

Also, apart from describing the problem... you haven't provided any information that helps. Have no idea what version Kodi, what platform and version, scrapers used, folder and file structure, where artwork is coming from... you get the idea.
 Thank you very much for your message and sorry for missing this post, as I couldn't find the thread so I was providing more detail in the other.

OK so after spending several more hours with it, I cannot figure out what is wrong. There is NO debug log information going in there - none. I start Kodi, turned on debug loggined, exited and restarted, reproduce the error, and then when I go back to the log the only thing in it is Kodi Started Successfully.

I am using nightly build kodi-20180128-f0944787-master-arm64-v8a.apk on an Android Nvidia Shield 2017. The scrapper is the movie database. I tried with the Ultimate one and it does the same exact thing.

When I used Kodi 17.6 and SPMC I do not have these issues using the same exact media file names and folders and folder structure.  It was only after I upgraded from 17.6 to the nightly v18 that I had the issue. 

Whenever I scan in new content, it now only provides a static image from the movie (which apparently Kodi digs out of the file itself, not something that is downloaded).  All my file names match exactly what is shown in TMDB.  It seems specific to Kodi v18. I have even removed the source entirely and told it to clear the movies, added back the source and the same thing happens. When I add the source the top right of the screen says "Scanning the movie database for xxx" and I see it flying through the titles real quick and then immediately after it says Compressing and then no more messages and it has completed. Whereas when I do this with Kodi v17.6 or SPMC, after it says "Scanning the movie database for xxx" part, it then goes into a longer part where I see status messages about it querying the movie database and downloading things from it - this second step does not happen at all with Kovi v18.

As mentioned there is NOTHING in the logs except a "Kodi started" message. I even tried turning on debugging and then restarting Kodi v18 and then rescanning the media source and the same issue happens as described above and when I go into the log it still only says Kodi Started in there - no other messages at all. At one point I even deleted my userdata folder entirely and readded my sources in case it was some sort of weird cache issue but the same exact issue still occurred.

When I go to the Information page on the newly added movies, it's all blank. But if I use the Refresh option on there, then it pulls in everything just fine and replaces the static image thumbnail with the movie poster as desired, and all is fine for that title. I have to manually repeat these steps for every single title so this is not a viable workaround. Specifically I choose Information on the thumbnail from the main movie screen, the Info screen says cast not available and all info is blank, I choose Refresh, and it says "Locally stored info found. Ingore and refresh from internet?", I say Yes, it prompts me to select the movie (which title matches exactly my file name), all info then loads in the Info screen and the thumbnail issue is solved for that title.

Yes it is entirely possible that this is an error specific to my setup, but again, I am not doing anything different than I am aware of with v18 than I did with 17.6 and SPMC.  I cannot do a side by side install of v17.6 and v18, but it was working with v17.6 before upgraded, and tonight I did do a fresh install of SPMC, gave it the exact same source, and it scrapped perfectly fine, no issues. I'm not doing anything different with v18 - same steps.

If I had to guess, I have the feeling that the scrapper is somehow satisfied with the locally stored info it is finding, which is no good but it doesn't realize that, so the scrapper scans the titles but then does not bother actually fetching the data for them, instead opting what it has as local. That could also explain why there is no info in the logs. But after deleting the userdata file and still having this issue, I'm not so sure. Perhaps it is a problem with the movie database plugin or its cache. Maybe I can remove that an reinstall it somehow (but I couldn't tell how). 

Maybe the best place to start is understanding why there is no debug info in the logs... I am turning on debug logging, which after I toggle it on it puts a OSD overlay into the top left of the screen and shows FPS and such debug info like a couple of lines. Then for the log I go to System->Logging and View Log. What am I missing?

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.
Looks like you figured out how to find your posts. If you click on your username in the top right corner of the screen, a menu will drop down. From the you can select View Your Posts near the bottom of the list. That will list all your posts and where they are.

(2018-01-30, 08:48)kaybird Wrote: and then when I go back to the log the only thing in it is Kodi Started Successfully.
I think you are confusing the Debug Log with the Event Log which is something different. You cannot access the Debug Log from within Kodi. It is a file in the Userdata folder that needs to be uploaded either manually or using the Kodi Log Uploader Add-on. Using an Android Nvidia Shield, you would be better off using the Add-on. Install from the Official Kodi Repository, and directionsl are here... Add-on:Kodi_Logfile_Uploader (wiki)

To create the log...
  1. Enable Debugging mode. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option
  2. Restart Kodi
  3. Replicate the problem.
  4. Upload the log using the add-on, then give us the link that comes on your screen and post it here.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

What we need is the problem captured in the log.

Let us know if you get stuck.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-01-30, 09:06)Karellen Wrote: Looks like you figured out how to find your posts. If you click on your username in the top right corner of the screen, a menu will drop down. From the you can select View Your Posts near the bottom of the list. That will list all your posts and where they are.
(2018-01-30, 08:48)kaybird Wrote: and then when I go back to the log the only thing in it is Kodi Started Successfully.
I think you are confusing the Debug Log with the Event Log which is something different. You cannot access the Debug Log from within Kodi. It is a file in the Userdata folder that needs to be uploaded either manually or using the Kodi Log Uploader Add-on. Using an Android Nvidia Shield, you would be better off using the Add-on. Install from the Official Kodi Repository, and directionsl are here... Add-on:Kodi_Logfile_Uploader (wiki)

To create the log...
  1. Enable Debugging mode. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option
  2. Restart Kodi
  3. Replicate the problem.
  4. Upload the log using the add-on, then give us the link that comes on your screen and post it here.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs

What we need is the problem captured in the log.

Let us know if you get stuck.   
Great, thank you so much! You are right. I was getting mixed up between the event log and the debug log. 

Here's what I did to reproduce the issue and capture it in the debug log:

- Turned on debug logging and restarted Kodi.

- Added a new source that has two titles in it, set it to Movies and TMDB with default options, said OK.

- When it asked if I wanted to load its contents into my library I said Yes.

- As expected, the problem happened again exactly as before. It added the two titles and when I returned to the Movies section it used a still frame for the thumbnail. And when I go into the Information page it has blanks for everything and no info found. With my previous Kodi 17.6 setup (before upgrading to 18 nightly), and with my current SPMC, and with both of those using the same exact source and folder/file names and NFS setup, it works without this issue. It is only with my Kodi v18 nightly that I have this issue. It certainly may not be a Kodi 18 bug itself, but perhaps something with the setup or addons maybe.

- Then at around 1:50pm in the logs I purposely did the refresh action on both titles, so you could see how the logs look when the refresh runs and fixes things.  As mentioned, a manual refresh on each title does solve the issue, but of course is very time consuming and burdensome compared to it just getting imported correctly the first time.  For the refresh I went to the title in the Movie section and then to the Information screen, clicked on Refresh. It then says "Locally stored info found. Ignore and refresh from internet?", I say Yes, it prompts me to select the movie (which title matches exactly my file name), all info then loads in the Info screen and the thumbnail issue is solved for that title. I did this for both titles because I figured it may help you see what the good refresh looks like in comparison.

Here is the log link: https://pastebin.com/kud9W3jm

Please let me know what you find and how you think I can fix it. Thank you again.
Please try the same with a clean vanilla installation, without having any extra non-official addons and/ or skins installed.

There are so much garbage created by those in your log file.

...and a general feedback: if I were you, I wouldn't use a nightly on my production system.
(2018-01-30, 22:23)olympia Wrote: Please try the same with a clean vanilla installation, without having any extra non-official addons and/ or skins installed.

...and a general feedback: if I were you, I wouldn't use a nightly on my production system.
 Thank you. Is it possible to get an idea of where the issue may be occurring, based on that log file? I can certainly can try deleting the entire installation and starting from scratch if that will help us troubleshoot. And just doing that may resolve the issue right there. However The reason I need to use Kodi v18 nightly is because I love the Estuary mod v2 skin by @Guilouz, mainly because it has a great feature that puts the playback OSD in an area of the screen that is still viewable when a projector is zoomed out (for CIH scoped screens in 2.40 aspect ratio).  So if it does turn out to be an issue with the skin or addon I'd still like to have a solution for that, as opposed to just avoiding it.
Also, you may have problems with your nfs shares...

cpp:
13:41:51.883 T:138717258832 DEBUG: CDirectoryProvider[nfs://172.16.1.28/PC3/Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv]: refreshing..
13:41:51.883 T:138717258832 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
13:41:51.884 T:138717258832 DEBUG: Alloc resources: 149.10ms (140.25 ms skin load)
13:41:51.886 T:138825798736 ERROR: Failed to open(//Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of /Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv failed with NFS3ERR_NOTDIR(-20)"
13:41:51.886 T:138825798736 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://172.16.1.28/PC3/Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv
13:41:51.888 T:138956203088 ERROR: Failed to open(//Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv) opendir call failed with "NFS: READDIRPLUS of /Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv failed with NFS3ERR_NOTDIR(-20)"
13:41:51.888 T:138956203088 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting nfs://172.16.1.28/PC3/Owned/Lucy/Lucy (2014).mkv
My Signature
(2018-01-30, 22:35)Karellen Wrote: Also, you may have problems with your nfs shares...
 I saw those errors in the log and wondered about that. However I can play back titles flawlessly off the NFS as well as navigate to everything as Files from Kodi and so forth, and the Refresh function works just fine. And again please consider that this issue does not happen with the same exact setup with Kodi 17.6 or SPMC, which would imply that if it is a NFS issue, it is related to Kodi v18 (since the issue does not happen with 17.6 or SPMC). What do you think is best to do from here to troubleshoot this further? Thank you.
(2018-01-30, 22:33)kaybird Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 22:23)olympia Wrote: Please try the same with a clean vanilla installation, without having any extra non-official addons and/ or skins installed.

Thank you. Is it possible to get an idea of where the issue may be occurring, based on that log file? I can certainly can try deleting the entire installation and starting from scratch if that will help us troubleshoot. And just doing that may resolve the issue right there. However The reason I need to use Kodi v18 nightly is because I love the Estuary mod v2 skin by @Guilouz, mainly because it has a great feature that puts the playback OSD in an area of the screen that is still viewable when a projector is zoomed out (for CIH scoped screens in 2.40 aspect ratio).  So if it does turn out to be an issue with the skin or addon I'd still like to have a solution for that, as opposed to just avoiding it. 
 Nahh, I am not looking that log. This is not a scraper issue anyway, as if it was, then manual refresh wouldn't help either.
We will try to support you on a vanilla installation. If you are not willing to go vanilla, then please request support in the thread of the given desired addons.

Also, you can't switch back and forth between versions using the same userdata and database. Settings are different, database is different. Your installation is now a total mess which I am not going to look at.

Just let us now how would like to proceed. If you come back vanilla that's fine. If you want to further analyze this with the developer of whatever, then tell us and we can close this thread.
(2018-01-30, 22:48)olympia Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 22:33)kaybird Wrote:  Nahh, I am not looking that log. This is not a scraper issue anyway, as if it was, then manual refresh wouldn't help either.
We will try to support you on a vanilla installation. If you are not willing to go vanilla, then please request support in the thread of the given desired addons.

Also, you can't switch back and forth between versions using the same userdata and database. Settings are different, database is different. Your installation is now a total mess which I am not going to look at.

Just let us now how would like to proceed. If you come back vanilla that's fine. If you want to further analyze this with the developer of whatever, then tell us and we can close this thread. 
OK I will try a vanilla installation. So that I am clear, here is my plan... I will uninstall Kodi and make sure all its folders are cleaned up and removed. I will then install the latest v18 nightly, and my source and see what happens.  If the issue occurs there still, then it is something you can help with. And if it doesn't, then I can maybe put one add-on installed at a time and see at what point the problem returns. Sound good?
Fantastic!
I started from scratch with a vanilla Kodi v18 installation and then I had no more issues like the above.  Then I added in the MOD v2 skin and all its add-ons, and still had no issues with the problem.  So I do not know what caused it and have been unable to reproduce it. Maybe it was caused when I upgraded from v17 to v18.  The strange part is that before I started from scratch, I even removed the userdata folder entirely but it still had the issue. I'm not sure then what caused it but hopefully I do not run into the same issue again. You can close this one out please.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Missing art, bad thumbnail and no data on Information screen0