Is a s912 a good option or would something else around $100-150 be a better option?
I've been looking at a dozen android boxes and reading the stickied topics here over the last week. There is just so much info and so many devices that I'm finding difficult to make a decision. 

For the last couple years, I've been using a fire stick for Kodi. I recently updated to 17.6 and installed a few different builds to play around. Kodi runs well stock but each build seems to really slow it down. I like the layout and add-ons the build gives and realize I could probably install the main ones independently for better performance but I'd rather upgrade the device. I have Kodi installed on my 7700hq/gtx1070 pc and it runs great. Flys through menus and load time WAY faster than the fire stick. I can mirror the display on my tv and play 1080p content without buffering or stuttering so I'm pretty certain it's not my internet. Especially considering Kodi has always been decent without the large builds.

I'm considering a couple different options all under $150 but preferably under $100.

-Nvidia Shield
-s905/912 boxes with osmc or libreelec. 
-repurposing a 4th gen i5 4440/4460 desktop
-xbox one

I have a 4k HDR tv I'll be using it on but will mostly just use 1080p streaming. I just want to get through the os quickly without having to deal with major buffering. Is there a notable difference in speed and fluidity among those listed? Is there something else that I'm missing that would be better or cheaper?

Thanks for the help!
Is this a Kodi only box you are looking for ?

Do you need hands off 4K HDR Kodi support ?

Ethernet or WiFi ?

What about remote's ?
Wireless remotes that work properly and reliably make a BIG difference to device speed and fluidity.
Remote would have to be one of the most important But often most neglected aspects for day to day usage of any media player.

Kodi for streaming is all I need. I’d be fine with WiFi but it’s close enough to the router I could do wired. Right now the firestick with Diggz firetv it’s just so sluggish. On my laptop it is about a second to load thumbs, menus, and streams. My Roku and ps4 also loaded 4K content with zero issue. That leads me to believe my WiFi is plenty fast enough.

I don’t know what hands off 4K is so I don’t know. Since I don’t know what it is it probably isn’t that important.

I would prefer a remote with a qwerty keyboard though.
Kodi only = avoid Android, it will only get in the way and add unnecessary complications.

Best bang for the buck would be a DIY AMLogic S912 box running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. One with dual band AC WiFi or an Ethernet port.

For some DIY LibreELEC Kodi ideas reading from HERE

If using LibreELEC Kodi, a Plug N Play, Wireless, Mini Keyboard remote like the MINIX A2 lite works nicely with anything using it's plug in USB Wireless receiver dongle.

1080p or 4K, AC WiFi and if you want Plug and Play, boot straight into Kodi = Vero 4K

If 1080p Hi10P Anime playback is needed then you need a box with a beefy CPU for software decoding = NVIDIA Shield or Intel i series box. And Apple TV 4K works well also.

So next question then because libreelec seems to be what most people reccomend it seems like. Are there any major differences between these different boxes? Will firmware or anything even matter once libreelec is installed? As far as I can tell they are all pretty much indentical in paper. Further more is there a S912 box that is most well regarded? I’m leaning towards the t95z plus of not. For $90 it’s got a remote and 3gb of ram includes.

EVANPO T95Z PLUS Android 7.1 TV BOX Amlogic S912 Octa-core CPU 3GB RAM 32GB ROM (Backlight Wireless Keyboard Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HG3GS2/ref...FAb22JEZXC

MINIX NEO U9-H, 64-bit Octa-Core Media Hub for Android [2GB/16GB/4K/HDR]. Sold Directly by MINIX Technology Limited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGNY9L2/ref...FAb04KR43J

Beelink GT1 Ultimate Android 7.1 TV Box DDR4 3GB / 32GB 1000Mbps LAN Dual Wifi 2.4G+5.8G Bluetooth 4.0 Smart TV BOX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X93HQK2/ref...FAbW00T5JS

NEW R-TV BOX S10 3G DDR4 RAM 32G ROM Amlogic S912 Android 7.1.2 Octa Core 4K UHD WiFi BT 4.1 H.265 TV Box Media Playe + Backlit Wireless Keyboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X19RV2Q/ref...FAbYBPHX4V
All those S912's will be about the same, but there is a definate difference in hardware quality when you step up to the U9, simply due to higher quality components used like faster, higher quality RAM and eMMC flash storage, better Dual Band - MIMO (dual antennas) AC WiFi and the big one is far far better thermal heat dissipation and engineering due to this:

The chipset heat sink in the MINIX U1 / U9 is massive vs all other AMLogic boxes on the market. Click HERE for Internal teardown.

vs a Generic S905x/S912 heatsink (click)

S912's run the hottest of all the AMLogic boxes simply due to all the co-processor cores on the SoC.
Some of the cheaper S912's heatsink performance can be improved by some DIY and re-seating the small SoC heatsink with better Silver thermal paste.

Basically I'm saying you get what you pay for when choosing hardware.

@wrxtasy-
I am thinking about ordering the minix box. I’ll flash it with Linreelec like you have recommended to almost everyone. Is flashing the internal storage of the box with LE possible or do I have to get a separate sd card/usb drive to run it?
See my thing is at $139.99 for the minix neo u9 I’m pretty much to the cost of the shield. There are plenty under $100 with the same specs that I could flash. If I’m spending $140 I’d probably just spend the extra $30 for the shield. However if I can get a box and remote for $90 that works just as well once libreelec is install I’d rather go that route.
(2018-02-11, 17:00)mdisbrow Wrote: See my thing is at $139.99 for the minix neo u9 I’m pretty much to the cost of the shield. There are plenty under $100 with the same specs that I could flash. If I’m spending $140 I’d probably just spend the extra $30 for the shield. However if I can get a box and remote for $90 that works just as well once libreelec is install I’d rather go that route.

LibreELEC doesn’t have certain limitations the android Tv OS does.. it is meant to be a Kodi only installation
The S912 Tanix TX92 is also a cheap option. Just add a MINIX A2 lite wireless remote and you would have something decent.

The LibreELEC Kodi - data partition can be copied to faster internal eMMC on AMLogic LibreELEC boxes. You just use the USB stick or SD card for booting.

(2018-02-11, 17:00)mdisbrow Wrote: See my thing is at $139.99 for the minix neo u9 I’m pretty much to the cost of the shield. There are plenty under $100 with the same specs that I could flash. If I’m spending $140 I’d probably just spend the extra $30 for the shield. However if I can get a box and remote for $90 that works just as well once libreelec is install I’d rather go that route.

Yes - I can totally understand that feeling too. Both the Shield and Apple TV 4K (which runs MrMC rather than Kodi) are very sensible purchases - but with limitations also - if you want to watch high-quality streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, or local pay-TV services (Viaplay, CMore in Scandinavia for example)

If you want LibreElec (or OSMC) - and the flexibility that gives you to do stuff like run a TV Headend server on the same box - have a 'purer' Kodi experience, and in some cases work round the Shield (gamut switching)/ ATV4K (lack of HD bitstreaming for Atmos/DTS:x) limitations - then an AMLogic S905X or S912 box can make more sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is a s912 a good option or would something else around $100-150 be a better option?0