A few general Kodi usage queries (I'm considering ditching Plex)
Ola... Before Kodi was Kodi, I used to access all my media through XBMC. I stuck around through the name change, and then for some silly reason I moved everything over to Plex. Now I'm regretting that particular decision, but there are a few things about my current system that I've become so used to, I can't quite imagine life without them. I'm hoping some of you wonderful people might be willing and able to help me work out a few things before I start the process of migrating back to Kodi.

From what I remember, Kodi itself needs to be installed on a machine that has it's own display (as opposed to a headless server with a separate client for watching). Is this still the case these days? Searching online for "kodi headless server" shows tons of results, but most of the information is old and I haven't found any conclusive answers yet..

My current system involves PMS (all the time, not just now and then) on a headless Linux box, with Plex Media Player on a RPi3. The beauty of this setup is that I can use the Plex app on my phone, browse my media, then play something on my lounge Pi. At this point, the app on my phone (or tablet) can disconnect without interrupting anything, and any other mobile app can connect to the Pi and see what's currently playing.

Trying to get this same sort of setup working with Emby kept the mobile device in the loop the whole time, draining my battery like mad... I've looked into a few other "media server" systems (Universal Media Server, Serviio, Mezzmo, TVersity, etc..), I couldn't even get most of them to work, and the ones that I did (after many hours tinkering) simply didn't do what I needed.

If it helps at all, the hardware I currently have at my disposal is as follows:
  • x86 server PC - currently running Ubuntu Server 16.04 (this operates as my central home server with multiple network-related services, not only for media)
  • 2x RPi3 - one running PMP, one spare
  • LG 42LB652T - an old-ish one, still on WebOS 1.4

Ultimately, my goal is to have two RPi boxes (one hooked up to the TV for watching things, another hooked up to only an audio system for playing music), both looking at one central media server and all controlled from multiple phones and tablets. I'm sick and tired of paying a subscription for media server software (Plex) that doesn't allow me to access my own local media when the internet dies. Living in South Africa, this happens pretty darn often. But I can't run this system without user access control, because I regularly have my 12 and 14 year old niece and nephew staying with me.

So here's the big question: is this sort of environment possible using Kodi..? If so, please could someone point me in the right direction to get started?
No, Kodi does not require or use a server.

However, if you wish to continue using your PMS you can install the PlexKodiConnect add-on and use Kodi as your frontend and still use PMS to manage your library.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-02-11, 20:27)Tinwarble Wrote: ..use Kodi as your frontend and still use PMS to manage your library.

Well there's an interesting idea. But would Kodi then handle the local user accounts, or would I still need to keep up a paid Plex Pass subscription (to have "Plex Home") for that? I looked through the first page of the PKC thread, but I don't see anything that covers that point.. I'll try it out tomorrow evening and see.

I desperately need to cut back on my monthly expenses, but I simply can't allow youngsters to have unlimited access to my media; there's too much "not kid friendly" stuff in there..
If all your media is on the x86 Ubuntu Server then just share the files on the network using NFS or SMB, NFS is best IMHO.  Then just point Kodi at those shares and add the media into your library.  Then setup a MySQL database and point each Kodi client to that.  The just use one of the myriad of Kodi remote apps on your phone or use the Kodi web interface in any web browser.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2018-02-11, 23:12)speedwell68 Wrote: If all your media is on the x86 Ubuntu Server then just share the files on the network using NFS or SMB, NFS is best IMHO.  Then just point Kodi at those shares and add the media into your library.  Then setup a MySQL database and point each Kodi client to that.  The just use one of the myriad of Kodi remote apps on your phone or use the Kodi web interface in any web browser.
 Well, for what it's worth, i did find an answer to my user accounts question with PKC, as described here it still requires Plex Pass, so I'll still have access issues when i have no internet.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that tomorrow, sounds like a viable solution. Smile
I'm a Plex user who recently moved back to Kodi. I'm a lifetime Plex pass user, so monthly subscription isn't an issue. Plex's reliance on an internet connection for authentication and a few other things, finally caused me to realize, I don't need everything that Plex has to offer. It's great, but currently I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

I set up a MySQL database on the same machine that runs my Plex server (also runs Emby server). and point 5 of my clients to that database. I have a Chromebox that I've been running Kodi on for several years now that uses it's own database. This box was my fallback in case Plex crapped out for what ever reason. I don't need user access control in my situation so it's not a concern for me. While I din't try to set it up, supposedly it's possible to set up MySQL with separate user profiles.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Kodi/Kodi-Multiuser.html
(2018-02-22, 05:51)astrofisher Wrote: I'm a Plex user who recently moved back to Kodi. I'm a lifetime Plex pass user, so monthly subscription isn't an issue. Plex's reliance on an internet connection for authentication and a few other things, finally caused me to realize, I don't need everything that Plex has to offer. It's great, but currently I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

I set up a MySQL database on the same machine that runs my Plex server (also runs Emby server). and point 5 of my clients to that database. I have a Chromebox that I've been running Kodi on for several years now that uses it's own database. This box was my fallback in case Plex crapped out for what ever reason. I don't need user access control in my situation so it's not a concern for me. While I din't try to set it up, supposedly it's possible to set up MySQL with separate user profiles.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/Kodi/Kodi-Multiuser.html
 I used Plex for a bit and decided that it didn't really do anything that I couldn't do natively on my existing server OS with a lower system overhead.  Plus with NFS/MySQL there is no need for an internet connection, just a LAN.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2018-02-11, 20:45)ZaLiTHkA Wrote:
(2018-02-11, 20:27)Tinwarble Wrote: ..use Kodi as your frontend and still use PMS to manage your library.

Well there's an interesting idea. But would Kodi then handle the local user accounts, or would I still need to keep up a paid Plex Pass subscription (to have "Plex Home") for that? I looked through the first page of the PKC thread, but I don't see anything that covers that point.. I'll try it out tomorrow evening and see.

I desperately need to cut back on my monthly expenses, but I simply can't allow youngsters to have unlimited access to my media; there's too much "not kid friendly" stuff in there..

If your not afraid to get you hand dirty on the tech side of things. And from my understanding your looking at mostly lan playback. If so you can have separate profiles which is like separate user accounts. As well you can have a centralized database, I actually just upgrades to my database this week. In the coming releases kodi will move over to mariadb, I run windows so this week I installed mariadb sql server and literally maybe 30mins and I was back up and running. you will been to add an advancedsettings file to each profile and point back to the server with different database names.. but ultimately you can have what your looking for without cost of subscription. but as I said you will have to do some reading and put some effort into setting it up. it is not like plex where they walk you through everything step by step.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A few general Kodi usage queries (I'm considering ditching Plex)0