• 19(current)
Release CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)
(2020-10-16, 17:42)mentat Wrote: Greetings,

Has anyone (else) noticed that the "NN CBC News Network" stream no longer appears in the "Live Channels" section (I think it was still available yesterday)?

Thanks.

I have the same problem.  I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that viewing is "free for a short time", That is, Login is not required.
(2020-10-16, 19:35)B12358 Wrote:

Has anyone (else) noticed that the "NN CBC News Network" stream no longer appears in the "Live Channels" section (I think it was still available yesterday)?

Thanks.

I have the same problem.  I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that viewing is "free for a short time", That is, Login is not required.

I appreciate your feedback, as I never access the CBC outside this addon and was not aware of this "free trial" offer.

I can now see that the "CBC News Network" link (https://gem.cbc.ca/live/939949635618) can be viewed without login.

Hopefully, the link will return (within the addon), once the trial is over.

Thanks.

Thanks.

CBC News Network has been missing for a few days now. No idea why, and in previous "disappearances", it's usually back in about 48 hours.
Disappointing, because CBC has been offering this channel for "free" since the start of the pandemic, and as far as I can tell, the pandemic is still here.
(2020-10-17, 19:16)Quadrinity Wrote:

Thanks.

CBC News Network has been missing for a few days now. No idea why, and in previous "disappearances", it's usually back in about 48 hours.
Disappointing, because CBC has been offering this channel for "free" since the start of the pandemic, and as far as I can tell, the pandemic is still here.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
(2020-10-17, 21:30)mentat Wrote:
(2020-10-17, 19:16)Quadrinity Wrote:

Thanks.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

I have the same problem but I am also logged in with a GEM account. (That's on my RPi3B+ Buster, Kodi Leia 18.7 and the 4.0.6 version of the CBC video add on.)
When I do a Live Channels from the Add-on CBCNN is no longer listed. But it's been working fine for months -since the add-on was released.

The other local CBC stations across the country are listed. Plus there is an added one for the Olympic Channel as the 1st listing, but that's not new.

The missing NewsNetwork listing has happened quite recently....

So maybe there is a handshake issue? Is there a Kodi logging setting that can help tracking it down?
(BTW I am a Canadian living in Toronto Canada.)
(2020-10-23, 23:03)pteeson Wrote: The missing NewsNetwork listing has happened quite recently....

So maybe there is a handshake issue? Is there a Kodi logging setting that can help tracking it down?
I don't believe CBCNN is included in a free GEM account.  The stream AFAIK was just never locked down for the longest while.
(2020-10-24, 03:40)barney63 Wrote:
(2020-10-23, 23:03)pteeson Wrote: The missing NewsNetwork listing has happened quite recently....

I don't believe CBCNN is included in a free GEM account.  The stream AFAIK was just never locked down for the longest while.
As other pointed out above, NN is missing as it is on a free trial currently.  When CBC did that, the page for the link moved, as such, it is not on the page that this plugin uses (I've verified this).
(2020-10-24, 16:40)smf007 Wrote:
(2020-10-24, 03:40)barney63 Wrote:

As other pointed out above, NN is missing as it is on a free trial currently.  When CBC did that, the page for the link moved, as such, it is not on the page that this plugin uses (I've verified this).

Can you provide documentation, as opposed to beliefs, that CBCNN is not part of GEM Free?
I believe that it is part of Free because I can receive it OK on my Macintosh using Firefox no problem.
And I am logged in using my free Gem account on both Macintosh and Kodi.
AFAIK it has never been a free service, it was always part of a cable package.  I thought I read somewhere that the stream was "overlooked" and not locked down.  I think I've been able to access the stream long before COVID.

It doesn't look free to me.

https://gem.cbc.ca/benefits
I noticed that it's selecting the lowest video quality by default, and I have to manually change it to the highest. Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?
(2020-11-24, 09:50)FolkSong Wrote: I noticed that it's selecting the lowest video quality by default, and I have to manually change it to the highest. Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

In the addon settings, if you have if set to "Use FFMPEG" then it should be pulling the highest available stream by default.  If you are using inputstream.adaptive, you'll get the stream that matches you configuration in inputstream.adapative (so some combination of resolution and bitrate).
(2020-11-24, 23:17)smf007 Wrote:
(2020-11-24, 09:50)FolkSong Wrote: I noticed that it's selecting the lowest video quality by default, and I have to manually change it to the highest. Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

In the addon settings, if you have if set to "Use FFMPEG" then it should be pulling the highest available stream by default.  If you are using inputstream.adaptive, you'll get the stream that matches you configuration in inputstream.adapative (so some combination of resolution and bitrate).

Thanks, I'm using inputstream.adaptive. I found that I do get the best quality if I change "Manually select streams" to "Automatically select streams" in the IS.A settings. Although I prefer having it the other way so that I have the option to see all available streams, I'd just like it default to the highest rather than the lowest. Probably just a Kodi thing though, not an addon issue.
A quick question for anyone who might know - why would my authenticatoin (sic) fail?  u/name & pwd from Gem are exact, checked by multiple sets of eyes multiple times.

also - is some of the content on Gem paywalled, so even signed in to the kodi add-on, I won't be able to stream it on my media centre screen?

Thanks in advance to devs for their efforts!
One of the first things I like to find out when troubleshooting is, is it my setup or the addon that is the issue.  So, if this gives a little perspective the addon is working fine for me on (Kodi 18.9/CBC Addon 4.0.6)  Sorry that doesn't help with your specific issue.

You can scroll down this page to see what is offered by CBC GEM.

And if I can hijack this thread for just one post to see if I can drum up some support in trying to find someone who can have a look and take over the formerly excellent CBC Sports addon
(2021-01-11, 00:00)barney63 Wrote: One of the first things I like to find out when troubleshooting is, is it my setup or the addon that is the issue.  So, if this gives a little perspective the addon is working fine for me on (Kodi 18.9/CBC Addon 4.0.6)  Sorry that doesn't help with your specific issue.

You can scroll down this page to see what is offered by CBC GEM.

And if I can hijack this thread for just one post to see if I can drum up some support in trying to find someone who can have a look and take over the formerly excellent CBC Sports addon

RPi4 Xbian kodi 18.9 (current) and CBC v4.0.6 -
that's what I'm trying to determine:  what does "working fine" mean?  sometimes series are viewable (non-subscriber), sometimes they're not...frustrating.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CBC TV (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation)1