Does Kodi transcode the movies?
(2018-02-16, 20:38)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-02-12, 20:55)natethomas Wrote: With that said, even if you did have the setup I described, with two instances of Kodi, Kodi still wouldn't transcode, because we haven't built Kodi to have the ability to transcode and because in most cases the version of Kodi acting as the player would have all the same powers as the version of Kodi acting as the server, so there would be no need to transcode.
This is not true anymore. Kodi's architecture is running though a transformation that finally makes transcoding on-the-fly possible by a headless server component. Still a long way to go but I wanted to stress that Kodi is (re)built with the abiltiy to transcode.. 
My guess this is a v19 deal bit sounds super interesting none the less. Smile
Seems like the perfect thread to post in.

I have a server that I stream movies from with Kodi. I point to my file share in my library. Works great on the local network. I have a VPN setup between two locations, my server location and the remote location. The problem I have is the upload speed at the server location tops out at 12Mbps and when I try to play a movie at the remote location I get a lot of buffering for higher quality movies. My question is, is it possible for me to downscale with Kodi to allow the remote location to say watch the movie in 720p instead of 1080p or 4K?

Thanks in advance!
No, there is no transcoding preformed by Kodi. It simply plays the file. But work is being performed to allow that option in future.
My Signature
Links to : Forum rules (wiki) | Banned_Add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create_Music_Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki) || Artwork (wiki) | Basic_controls (wiki) | Import-export_library (wiki) | Movie_sets (wiki) | NFO_files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-05, 00:02)Karellen Wrote: No, there is no transcoding preformed by Kodi. It simply plays the file. But work is being performed to allow that option in future.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea on the planned release date? I sure love some Kodi, been using it since it's early days as XBMC. Really would hate to have to use something else.
Sorry, I have not seen any talk of a release date. In fact, I haven't seen any talk about it for quite a while. Everybody is still working towards the v18 release, so that is where all the effort is.

It will be in a later release. Keep fingers crossed for v19 Wink
My Signature
Links to : Forum rules (wiki) | Banned_Add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create_Music_Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki) || Artwork (wiki) | Basic_controls (wiki) | Import-export_library (wiki) | Movie_sets (wiki) | NFO_files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-01-05, 01:15)Karellen Wrote: Sorry, I have not seen any talk of a release date. In fact, I haven't seen any talk about it for quite a while. Everybody is still working towards the v18 release, so that is where all the effort is.

It will be in a later release. Keep fingers crossed for v19 Wink

Thanks for the update! I'll use Plex for that site for the time being. As soon as Kodi gets the feature, I'll be switch back!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi transcode the movies?00