Wake on LAN Windows vs. OSMC
Hi all,

I posted this initially on the PVR and Live TV Support forum, but I didn't get any responses so I thought maybe I posted it in the wrong spot, so I'll try posting it here.  I hope that's OK.

I'm new around these forums but I've been happily running Kodi on PCs in my house for several years.  I'm scratching my head about a "wake on lan" issue I'm having and wonder if anyone here can help me figure things out.

I have NextPVR running on a "backend" Windows 10 desktop.  I have several timers set and quite a few recorded TV shows, and some other videos (from ripped DVDs) stored on the backend.  Kodi Krypton is also running on the backend, and the backend computer is set to sleep after an hour's inactivity.

I also have Kodi Krypton running on a Windows 7 laptop with NextPVR enabled and configured as a client, connected to NextPVR on the backend.  I currently use this laptop to watch live TV and recorded TV shows saved on the backend.  I've turned on "Try to wakeup remote servers on access" in Settings > System > Power saving.  This setup works well for me.  In particular, when I start Kodi on the laptop, it wakes up the backend, NextPVR loads normally, and I can watch recorded or live TV.  I'm actually not sure why the wake up works correctly, because I noted on the Kodi wiki that the wake on lan functionality is not supposed to wake the PVR.

I want to reclaim my laptop for other uses, so I decided to get a Pi3 and run OSMC on it.  I've tried to configure the Pi3/OSMC exactly the same as I've configured Kodi on the laptop, but I'm not able to duplicate the desirable wakeup behavior I'm enjoying with the laptop.  The only way I've been able to wake the backend from OSMC is to select "Videos" from the main OSMC screen.  My videos are SMB shares on the backend Windows 10 machine.  Selecting "Videos" awakens the backend, then I can "exit" OSMC and when it comes back up, the backend is awake and NextPVR loads normally.

I've also enabled Advanced Wake on LAN on the Pi and configured it to run on startup.  If my backend is asleep and I choose Power > Exit or Power > Restart on the Pi, OSMC attempts to load NextPVR before it runs AWOL.  Because of that, NextPVR fails to load, but AWOL does run and wakes the backend.  Then, if I select Power > Exit or Power > Restart, the backend is awake, NextPVR loads, and all is well.  The other thing I can do is always run AWOL before doing anything, whether the backend is awake or not.  My Linux skills aren't significant enough to do anything else.

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing with the Pi/OSMC when I'm connected to a backend that might be asleep when I want to watch TV?  I'd like to get a solution that's "wife friendly".  What I'm doing now is not.

Thanks for any help.
(2018-02-21, 23:22)FrogFan Wrote: I posted this initially on the PVR and Live TV Support forum, but I didn't get any responses so I thought maybe I posted it in the wrong spot, so I'll try posting it here.  I hope that's OK.
If you *think* your topic is in the wrong spot, just ask for it to be moved. Double-posting on this forum is not recommended.
Thank you for moving my post. I assume it's now in the correct forum, but if any mod believes it should be in another, please move it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake on LAN Windows vs. OSMC0