Messed up video
I'm trying to play a retail DVD in XBMC and the video comes out quite weird. The whole screen is a subdued image of the video and the top left quarter of the screen plays a grayscale version of the video. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with the latest video drivers installed. Has anyone else ever come across such symptoms? Do these symptoms simply mean my video card isn't gonna work or is there stuff I can try to get it to work?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. The card in the laptop is an ATI Radeo 1150 Xpress. I know I'm not running exactly the standard most supported configuration of hardware, but if anyone can offer any suggestions, that would be highly appreciated.
Yeah, I have the same problem, it's the new ATI Restricted drivers in Hardy. Not sure if there is any resolution with the new drivers. The only option I know of is to go back to Gutsy and use the included ATI Restricted drivers.
Ahh, that sucks. Btw, have you tried getting drivers via Envy? Are they any different that the Ubuntu ones?

Harry
Is there anyway to take the restricted drivers from Gutsy and install them on Hardy? I'm assuming it's just a specific deb package that it downloads when it installs the drivers, right?

Harry
I just tried putting Gutsy on the laptop and trying XBMC ... but it turns out the ATI drivers for Gutsy don't support my chipset yet ... only the Hardy drivers do. So I guess I won't be able to run XBMC for Linux any time soon ... at least until someone figures out what's causing the problems with the Hardy ATI drivers.

Thanks,
Harry
I have the same problem -- video in upper left corner, rest of screen garbage (often green) -- when playing .iso images using SVN head. No problems using the older alpha.
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
Which alpha version are you using?

Thanks,
Harry
I'm using R12861 (compiled and packaged by someone here), and I am experiencing the same issue. Hopefully a skilled developer will get the urge to find a workaround soon.
gfairbanks Wrote:I have the same problem -- video in upper left corner, rest of screen garbage (often green) -- when playing .iso images using SVN head. No problems using the older alpha.

Aha! I've had my de-interlacing set for "auto-select". Only some of the filters give problems. When I set it for "de-interlace" the picture does not look as good as I'm used to, but I don't get the green garbage and picture in the top left quarter of the screen.

This is with current SVN and Nvidia 7050 onboard graphics.
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
Hmm, I'll have to try that ... I have an ATI card, so I'm hoping it's the same thing causing the problem for me.

Thanks,
Harry
Unfortunately, on my machine (with ATI Xpress 1150 card) the interlacing options don't fix the problem. Bummer. I tried all possible combinations for the video settings, but nothing I do seems to resolve it.

Thanks,
Harry
I too have the same problem

xbmc-8.10final1-hardy4 on Ubuntu 8.04.1 (Hardy)

# fglrxinfo -display :0.0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

# DISPLAY=:0.0 glxinfo | fgrep -i direc
direct rendering: Yes

movies play just fine with vlc (even full screen) but only the top left is correct in xbmc

the xbmc UI is perfect, this is only when I'm playing movies. The onscreen remote looks o.k. too even overlayed over the awful image (top left green shrunk version of image, rest of the screen a faded shadow of the picture).

I have yet to find xbmc.log and I can't seem to find where the options are to change the interlacing settings.
arky Wrote:I too have the same problem

xbmc-8.10final1-hardy4 on Ubuntu 8.04.1 (Hardy)

# fglrxinfo -display :0.0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

# DISPLAY=:0.0 glxinfo | fgrep -i direc
direct rendering: Yes

movies play just fine with vlc (even full screen) but only the top left is correct in xbmc

the xbmc UI is perfect, this is only when I'm playing movies. The onscreen remote looks o.k. too even overlayed over the awful image (top left green shrunk version of image, rest of the screen a faded shadow of the picture).

I have yet to find xbmc.log and I can't seem to find where the options are to change the interlacing settings.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...t=ati+hack
Thanks so much, that's just what I needed.

I'm having terrible trouble finding where my advancedsettings.xml should go on Linux

the wiki page for UserData says to look at my platform's documentation to find out where it is, the only platform specific documentation appears to be the faq's which don't mention it

I took a guess at ~/.xbmc/UserData/advancedsettings.xml

I even joined the wiki (with another account) to try and fix the pages but it appears you need to be a ninja to fix the documentation.

I'm going to try it out when I get home tonight.

thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Messed up video0