SMB connection timed out
Hello,

My first post here so hopefully i'm doing it right.
I recently bought a Rpi3 and installed LibreELEC (Milhouse V18 #0305 right now) along with the netflix plugin.
Everything is working, except that i can't make a SMB connection to my NAS. When i want to connect it gives me the error 'connection timed out'.
I did the exact same thing as described here: Adding remote source
Funny thing is that we have a preinstalled kodi box (LibreELEC V17.6) in the living room and this one has no problem connecting to the NAS. In windows 10 i have no problem either getting access to the NAS.

I have looked in the logfiles and can only find this:
Quote:20:54:40.594 T:1803031424   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting
20:54:57.518 T:1811448704   ERROR: Previous line repeats 6 times.
20:54:57.518 T:1811448704   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/'
                                            unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'
20:54:59.413 T:1941486704   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/
20:54:59.413 T:1941486704   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/) failed
20:55:01.903 T:1941486704   ERROR: __PRETTY_FUNCTION__: Asked to initialize for unknown path smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/
20:56:25.853 T:1941486704   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/mediaspeler'

I have no clue what the problem could be.
I'm using a Asus RT-AC68u with USB storage connected
SMBv2 is enabled.

Am i doing something wrong?
Your Asus router ships with a very old version of Samba released about 10 years ago, which is riddled with exploitable bugs, and supports only SMB1 with the weakest level of security (weaker than normal, even).

You need to go into Kodi Settings -> Services, enable the Expert setting (bottom left corner), then in SMB client, set "Maximum protocol version" to SMB1, and enable "Use legacy security". Reboot, and Kodi should now be able to connect to your Asus router.

However you really should consider whether you want to continue using an obsolete and insecure version of Samba in your router. My advice would to disable the Asus Samba server and use NFS or a modern Samba version running on another device. Asus show no signs of addressing this issue with their Samba server, but might have to once most clients stop supporting SMB1.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2018-03-07, 00:31)sperwer66 Wrote: Hello,

My first post here so hopefully i'm doing it right.
I recently bought a Rpi3 and installed LibreELEC (Milhouse V18 #0305 right now) along with the netflix plugin.
Everything is working, except that i can't make a SMB connection to my NAS. When i want to connect it gives me the error 'connection timed out'.
I did the exact same thing as described here: Adding remote source
Funny thing is that we have a preinstalled kodi box (LibreELEC V17.6) in the living room and this one has no problem connecting to the NAS. In windows 10 i have no problem either getting access to the NAS.

I have looked in the logfiles and can only find this:
Quote:20:54:40.594 T:1803031424   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting
20:54:57.518 T:1811448704   ERROR: Previous line repeats 6 times.
20:54:57.518 T:1811448704   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/'
20:54:59.413 T:1941486704   ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/
20:54:59.413 T:1941486704   ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/) failed
20:55:01.903 T:1941486704   ERROR: __PRETTY_FUNCTION__: Asked to initialize for unknown path smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/
20:56:25.853 T:1941486704   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/mediaspeler'

I have no clue what the problem could be.
I'm using a Asus RT-AC68u with USB storage connected
SMBv2 is enabled.

Am i doing something wrong? 
 This worked for me:

navigate to: videos -> files -> add videos ... then select "Browse" .... then look at the bottom of the upcoming windows and you will see the "Add Network Location"-option

See:

https://imgur.com/a/L9lNP

Enter the IP address of your NAS device and fill in the user name and password for your NAS. You should then be able to navigate to any directory on your NAS after this is done.
@wussery 

Good that my suggestion from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2710434

worked for you. But that wouldn't help him. He only has SMB1 available and using that way wouldn't help him. The only way which helps him is the way Milhouse descripted. Wink

Some routers, which have kind of a NAS option, such as the Asus above and the FritzBox 7490 as well (as I own that myself), only are able to share folders via SMB1. In that case you have to change LibreELEC settings to support to SMB1 as explained above.

min=SMB1 and max=SMB2 might also work but SMB1 would be used then from LibreELEC as that's the only thing which is provided by the router.

And yes, I would also consider to change the device because of the security risk it is using SMB1.
Thanks for the clarification.
(2018-03-07, 01:08)Milhouse Wrote: Your Asus router ships with a very old version of Samba released about 10 years ago, which is riddled with exploitable bugs, and supports only SMB1 with the weakest level of security (weaker than normal, even).

You need to go into Kodi Settings -> Services, enable the Expert setting (bottom left corner), then in SMB client, set "Maximum protocol version" to SMB1, and enable "Use legacy security". Reboot, and Kodi should now be able to connect to your Asus router.

However you really should consider whether you want to continue using an obsolete and insecure version of Samba in your router. My advice would to disable the Asus Samba server and use NFS or a modern Samba version running on another device. Asus show no signs of addressing this issue with their Samba server, but might have to once most clients stop supporting SMB1.

I have tried this, however it's still giving me connection timed out error.

And thanks for adressing me to the security issues. I already had a feeling this wasn't the best method but i just wanted to test it out.
I ordered a Synology DS218+ today as my (real) first NAS.

I guess i'll have no issue with this.

@wussery 

That's indeed exactly how i tried it  Wink .
Thanks anyway!
@sperwer66

could you please get us a screenshot from your LibreELEC setitngs and specifically from the service settings-tab?
Well i found the problem..
When i connected my new DS218+ i still had connection refused error. I then tried to connect through wifi and had no problem.
So i was looking at the network setup and noticed something.

Our internet comes in by a modem. This modem has 4 ethernet ports.
one of the ethernet ports is going to our router (RT-ac68u), and from the router our PC's/NAS is connected + wifi.
The other 3 remaining ports from the modem are used by TV, Radio and my rpi3.

I guess that the TV, Radio and rpi3 were blocked by router as it comes from the 'outside'.

My setup now is:
Modem -> Router -> PC's/NAS/rpi3/TV etc.

Now it's working! Blush

I only had to buy an extra switch because i ran out of ethernet ports  Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB connection timed out0