Solved Kodi 18.0a1 crashing on video playback with hardware acceleration enabled
I'm using an Arch based OS called LinHES 8.5.1 for a home theater PC.  It is packaged with Kodi 16, so I compiled Kodi 17.6 which has been working reliably.  However, I was interested in testing out some of the new DRM capable addons that are available with Kodi 18, so I compiled the alpha version from source.  I am using a Geforce 210 video card and found that if I try to play videos with Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU) enabled that kodi segfaults.  If I play without hardware acceleration it appears to play okay, but obviously puts a larger burden on the CPU.  The first time I compiled it normally with built-in ffmpeg.  I also tried compiling it without the built-in ffmpeg, but saw the same symptoms.  I have the crashlog for the 2nd build with debugging turned on available here:
https://pastebin.com/kY9AgEtW
While the symptoms are the same, I understand that the cause could be different, so if it would be helpful to post a debug log for the build with built-in ffmpeg, I could reinstall it and post it here.

Other (potentially) useful command line output is as follows:
Code:
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
/usr/bin/kodi: line 208:  6168 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${KODI_BINARY} $SAVED_ARGS

I basically tried videos from Food Network, Cooking Channel, as well as recorded videos on the pvr.mythtv addon.

I am glad to provide any additional information to help troubleshoot this.  For the time being I have reverted to Kodi 17.6, but I could bounce back and forth if necessary.

Messages In This Thread
Kodi 18.0a1 crashing on video playback with hardware acceleration enabled - by knappster - 2018-03-18, 03:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18.0a1 crashing on video playback with hardware acceleration enabled0