QNAP TS-253A and Kodi Streaming
Hi,
i currently stream my video files from a seedbox which i pay monthly for, but been looking into getting a NAS.

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-TS-253A-4G...B017UKCFLO

I'm unsure how the best way to setup for streaming to an Nvidia Shield.
The NAS has HD transcoding and i believe can also install Kodi on there and connect to TV directly, though Nvidia shield has both already.
Also the NAS doesnt have HDMI 2.0 so i think Shield is better for transcoding

Nvidia Shield - Connected to router by LAN
NAS - Would connect to router by LAN also

So to stream movies from NAS to Nvidia Shield is it gonna use bandwidth? or my local network
I get unlimited fibre but i know ISPs can get funny about using a lot.

Probably over complicating things here but appreciate any advice here

Thanks
Maybe I understood wrong....but why not simply set up a share on your NAS and use Kodi to connect to that share as a source and stream the movies then?

(2018-03-25, 15:53)azza1989 Wrote: So to stream movies from NAS to Nvidia Shield is it gonna use bandwidth? or my local network

That question doesn't make any sense. If you set up the NAS and store movies on it, then share specific folders in your network and use those shares as a Kodi source to play the movies from, it for sure will use the bandwidth given in your LAN. Guessing you have a gigabit LAN at home it will work well. But that all has nothing to do with your internet connection/speed. The movies will play fine even if you won't have any connection to the internet as it's all done in LAN then.
(2018-03-25, 19:23)DaVu Wrote: Maybe I understood wrong....but why not simply set up a share on your NAS and use Kodi to connect to that share as a source and stream the movies then?

(2018-03-25, 15:53)azza1989 Wrote: So to stream movies from NAS to Nvidia Shield is it gonna use bandwidth? or my local network

That question doesn't make any sense. If you set up the NAS and store movies on it, then share specific folders in your network and use those shares as a Kodi source to play the movies from, it for sure will use the bandwidth given in your LAN. Guessing you have a gigabit LAN at home it will work well. But that all has nothing to do with your internet connection/speed. The movies will play fine even if you won't have any connection to the internet as it's all done in LAN then. 
 Thanks for the reply

by this:
(So to stream movies from NAS to Nvidia Shield is it gonna use bandwidth? or my local network)

i meant as in if for example your ISP gave you a limit of 1TB download
would network stream from NAS to nvidia shield count as part of that allowance
Not as long as its your own LAN.

A bit more explanation:

Downloading will mean that get something from out of the world wide web. Such a connection is also called a "WAN" connection (wide area netwok). You connect to some server, which holds the data (probably located in Mongolia). You download those files (whatever those might be) to your local PC. That's done by your "Internet" connection. Because you connect to a server which is not in your "local area" (your home).

Streaming at home in your own network is called a LAN connection (local area network). Those connections have nothing to do with your internet connection. As said. Local streaming of files which are located on your NAS will work, even if you don't have an internet connection at all.

You have to understand the difference between a local network, which is (given by the name) locally, and the world wide web. Your ISP has nothing to do with your LAN as you don't need an ISP to setup a local network.

Don't get me wrong. But do you have a understanding what a NAS is and what it does?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
QNAP TS-253A and Kodi Streaming0