Linux Easy (or even hard) Ways to Disable upscale above certain resolution
Hi there,

Recently i started running Kodi inside a virtual environment.

The kodi build is running on a install of archlinux directly on xinit.
I must admit i rather like running kodi away from my main OS'es , I can now use the same kodi on multiple systems,
Because of the lightweight setup I don't really experience any lag issues with virtualization.

There is one problem tough. when i start a 1080p movie the system automatically scales  trough the resolutions available by the display. Virtualbox has higher resolutions available than 1920x1080. the big problem is that it tries to run the 1080p movie on the screen resolution of 1920x1200 what virtualbox also shows/made available.

My screen size is only 1080 so i loose the menu and the video is not centered on playing. it really wont play on 1920x1080

I tried to solve this problem with a few different routes

1. looking trough kodi settings / advancedsettings.xml to disable or limit this auto scaling 
Could not find any options in kodi

2. Disabling the availability of the resolutions on the virtualbox host  
   running: VBoxManage setextradata virtualmachinename  GUI/MaxGuestResolution 1920,1080

Did not work..Could not find any more options in virtualbox

3. disabling the availability of the resolutions on the archlinux guest system

tried some xrandr settings but could not find the solution (topics only talk about adding resolutions)

tried this setting  in a default setup xorg.conf settings.
Subsection "Display" Depth 24 Modes (virtualbox resolutions here without the higher res than 1080p) EndSubsection

I must admit that the third route is not fully explored but instead putting hours of time into finding the right way i thought i could make my first kodi topic.
If anybody has any solution to run at a max resolution of 1080p without disabling auto scaling for lower resolutions i would gladly hear about that.

Thanks in advance!

TMP,
It sounds pretty impatient (maybe it is :-) but the question / problem above is a little uncommon. if someone knows a better place to post it or thinks no one is ever going to give a suggestion please do also post a reply

Thanks 

TMP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easy (or even hard) Ways to Disable upscale above certain resolution0