Kodi (17.6/LIBRELEC) on a Rpi3B - Intermittent Jackhammer sound from USB SPDIF Audio
Kodi (17.6/LIBRELEC) on a Rpi3B
StarTech.com USB Stereo Audio Adapter (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00F7120TQ/ref=...70_TE_item)
When I'm using the above config..

​​​​​​- If I'm moving around between kodi screens to select a video file to play suddenly I get a blast of digital noise that sounds like a jack hammer. It usually goes away as soon as I start playing a video file.

- 2 channel video files play fine.  5.1 Dolby ones - no sound, video fine.

My WD TV live box which seems to handle these and pass these on to my Sony receiver which decodes them fine.
I experimented with some of the Kodi audio settings I could find in System/Audio but no change.

If I set the audio to come out of the Rpi3 headphone jack.. it passes stereo audio to the RCA L/R jacks fine to the receiver for both 2.0 and 5.1 videos (although the audio level is a bit too low).

I seem to remember somewhere when I was installing the image there was a volume control setting for the headphone jack but I can't find that in the Kodi menu (not even in the system settings/audio). Is there another audio menu somewhere for this?

Either I am way too green at this or the Kodi on Rpi3 does not have the capabilities I thought it would. I was hoping to replace the WD TV with Kodi and still get full 5.1 Audio support.

Help!
After some further experimentation I'm pretty sure its the Starteck USB SPDIF card at fault (or the drivers). It gives normal SPDIF output sometimes and other times it just creates a loud hash or jackhammer sound. Startles the crap out of you! If I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in again it will work for a while then do the same thing over and over again. Pretty much useless and a time waster if you want 5.1, PCM or DTS from Kodi running on an Rpi3. Back it goes! Trying an HDMI Audio Extractor next.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi (17.6/LIBRELEC) on a Rpi3B - Intermittent Jackhammer sound from USB SPDIF Audio0