Kodi Media Player for Windows 8.1 64 bit
Hello,
I am unable to watch DVD movies on my Lenovo ideapad P500 laptop. I don't know if I ever watched them on this laptop and so not sure if the movie DVDs used to work earlier and now for some reason they don't. I have Windows Media Player and VLC. Someone told me that I should try XBMC / Kodi but I am unable to find the correct version on Kodi website. 

When I tried to download the current version on Microsoft store, I was informed that it won't work on my machine (I guess because it needs Windows 10). I then looked up in the older releases, but the 64-bit folder for Windows is empty.

I would appreciate if someone could please tell me if Kodi / XBMC is available for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit and where will I find it?

Thanks,
Dicky
Kodi uses the o/s default driver for hardware, if you're having issues with this driver, Kodi doesn't install hardware drivers. Supported hardware (wiki) and the  Intel HD 4000 might have issues. Pick-up one of the older legacy versions of Kodi http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/...on-x86.exe
Hi PatK,

Thanks for your reply. I installed the kodi-17.6-Krypton-x86 but I am still unable to watch the movie DVDs.

My laptop doesn't recognize the movie DVDs in the drive. After I insert a DVD, the drive makes a "knocking" noise 3 - 4 times and then then the noise stops. The DVD doesn't play. If I try to access the DVD drive from Windows Explorer, I get an "Insert a disc" error: 'Please insert a disc into drive E:' and the disc is ejected.

Interestingly, I am able to watch one of the movie DVDs (My Cousin Vinny) without any issues. But I'm unable to play the other movie DVDs, most of which are Hollywood movies that I've borrowed from a public library.

I've limited hardware knowledge, so I am providing the information from Control Panel and Device Manager:

From Control Panel -> System, I have the following information:
Windows edition: Windows 8.1
Processor: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.86 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor 

From Device Manager, I have the following:
Display Adapter: Intel HD Graphics 4000
DVD / CD-ROM drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N
Processors: Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (This is mentioned a total of 4 times)

Please let me know if you want anything else.

This issue is really frustrating. Any suggestions / ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Dicky
Hi Dicky333
Try changing the disk drive letter in Windows "Disk Management" lower than all other drives as it needs to be first. ie Drive A:
Kodi should start playing DVD when inserted.
" After I insert a DVD, the drive makes a "knocking" noise 3 - 4 times and then then the noise stops " Sounbs like the drive spins up, sniffs the disk and doesn't find what it's looking for, spins down. This could be something as simple as a proper driver, but could be the signs of a drive that is in failure. If you can 'see' a disk in windows, then it's a good sign that the hardware is operable, and you're looking for some sort of software fix. Check in device manager for HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU70N  and right click on it for options to update.
The other thing is that if these are borrowed dvd's from a library then they simply maybe dirty and require cleaning.
Sometimes a light wiping of olive oil will fill in some minor abrasion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player for Windows 8.1 64 bit0