Krypton 17.6 problem adding sources
I’m very new to Kodi, have just installed and trying to add tv shows, music and movie sources but am getting confused. It seems that things have changed since the wiki was last updated so I’m trying to wing it. I start by clicking on Movies in the home page and follow through to the point where it asks me to identify the content type. Well, I clicked on Movies so surely that would be the content type and I’m unsure of the implications of adding any name. Then after that there seems no obvious action to get it to update the database. Can someone please guide me through this impasse.
This may help: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library
Hello @cpnewbie

Not sure why you believe the wiki is out of date, but it is not.

All the information you need to create your Video Library is here... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library

In answer to your specific questions...

(2018-04-28, 07:43)cpnewbie Wrote: Well, I clicked on Movies so surely that would be the content type
Yes, if you are adding movies, then select Movies. Same goes for TV Shows.

(2018-04-28, 07:43)cpnewbie Wrote: I’m unsure of the implications of adding any name
If you are referring to Enter a name for this media source in the Add video source box, then it is just a simple name that enables you to distinguish the Source in Kodi. Name it whatever you like. Name it Bugs Bunny if you like, but it should be a name that you recognise to belonging to a particular drive, folder/source.

(2018-04-28, 07:43)cpnewbie Wrote: Then after that there seems no obvious action to get it to update the database
That is in the wiki, and I won't duplicate my effort by re-explaining it here. Just ensure you have correctly named your movies and tv shows.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Excellent! Appreciate the response (if a little terse for us idiot newby’s) and I can now see the error of my ways and will continue the learning process.
Terse? Really?

Newbie? You have been a member for 6 years.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Newbie, definitely as my activity over those will attest as I sought to understand the product but never implemented it. I’m not trying to start an argument but merely point out that sometimes we (and, on reflection, I’ve been also guilty) talk down to those of lesser knowledge. Nevertheless, you provided the information which enabled me to move on and for that I’m very grateful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Krypton 17.6 problem adding sources0