Playing video leads to 100% CPU load - but only sometimes
Cheers everyone!

I've got a very strange problem... I've been using Kodi for years now, but all off the sudden, starting a few month ago, Kodi sometimes (like around every 4 weeks or so) jumps to 100% CPU usage when playing a video (no matter which codec or container). Here's how it goes down:

While the system performance is great and doesn't show any problems (games play wonderfully and without any performance issues), when things are about to go down with Kodi, I already notice a laggy main menu and pictures not loading instantly and stuff. Then, when starting a video, CPU load goes from idle 5% to 100% in a matter of seconds. No matter what I do - keeping the video running, or stopping the video instantly - CPU load stays at 100% and a few moments later (around 30 seconds) Kodi crashes and CPU load drops again. And whatever I do - closing all other applications running, restarting the PC numerous times - the problem with Kodi stays the same.
Then, magically, on the next day everything is fine again for the next few weeks until it happens again. And I really have no effing clue what might be the cause of this!

Playing videos with other players like VLC or MPC is no problem at all.

I'm currently running on 17.3 - tried 17.5 when the problems occured, still had the same problems (will also test 17.6 the next time it happens...)

I'm sporting an i5-3570k at 4,5GHz and a GTX 1070, so there should be no issue regarding too weak hardware, since I'm also only playing 1080p videos at best. Windows 10 is on the most actual build, also updated all drivers and stuff.

Here's a log from when it last happened. From starting Kodi to starting a video and letting it crash:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VCVTM73cz7/

The thing is, that I'm not able to reproduce it, don't know what the problem might be and that it's not tied to any specific video, container or codec... I'm totally lost here! :-(

Hope you guys can help me!

Thanks in advance!
Support for the Krypton range of releases themselves is no longer given, all developer focus is now on Kodi 18 Leia.

As far as add-ons go, it's best to update to Krypton 17.6 anyway, and do your testing. You could start with a clean setup, and install your add-ons one by one to see where/when the 100% CPU problem arises.
You can install different versions of Kodi when using the portable mode, and compare your findings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing video leads to 100% CPU load - but only sometimes0