Raspberry Pi-3 Does it have Limitations ?
I use them all over the house as Cable TV box / Media library starting to notice crashing more. Maybe its running out of memory ?
I have over 4600 movies and over 30,000 TV show episodes all streaming from my NAS has anyone else experience this ?

https://paste.osmc.tv/eqodosepak
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Crashes with RPi's that normally run okay... I'd say the SD card is getting write issues over time. Most of the SD cards don't have any wear levelling or TRIM support like real SSDs do, so sooner or later they will wear out. Having the databases centralized via a remote MySQL server tends to help, the video database will cause the most writes with every movie or tv episode that is watched.

BTW, I also compacted your signature a bit. We have a 4 line maximum policy on this forum.
I always thought it was caused by addons . So for testing purposes I used a brand NEW Scan Disk ultra 32 gig and the only thing on Kodi is the PVR by Zoltan.

Now retried it with out the Library and no crashing
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
(2018-05-30, 21:54)Klojum Wrote: Crashes with RPi's that normally run okay... I'd say the SD card is getting write issues over time. Most of the SD cards don't have any wear levelling or TRIM support like real SSDs do, so sooner or later they will wear out. Having the databases centralized via a remote MySQL server tends to help, the video database will cause the most writes with every movie or tv episode that is watched.

BTW, I also compacted your signature a bit. We have a 4 line maximum policy on this forum.
 I have a basic WD Mycloud will that be powerful enough to Run MySQL ?
(2018-05-31, 19:34)Rickt1962 Wrote: I have a basic WD Mycloud will that be powerful enough to Run MySQL ?
If it runs MySQL, it should be okay. Which version of MySQL is installed on the MyCloud?
A MySQL database on a harddisk setup may have lower acces times though.
I'm kind of spoiled, as I use the Kodi MySQL database on a SSD. Smile
(2018-05-31, 19:38)Klojum Wrote:
(2018-05-31, 19:34)Rickt1962 Wrote: I have a basic WD Mycloud will that be powerful enough to Run MySQL ?
If it runs MySQL, it should be okay. Which version of MySQL is installed on the MyCloud?
A MySQL database on a harddisk setup may have lower acces times though.
I'm kind of spoiled, as I use the Kodi MySQL database on a SSD. Smile 
I don't have MySQL on my cloud thats why I asked
I don't know all types of WD MyCloud devices or their specificaties.
If yours does support/run MySQL, have a try at it. If it doesn't do MySQL, than that's it.
Use MySQL (if you can) if you really want a client server set up (shared libraries across multiple Kodi installations), however know there is a price. MySQL is generally slower than SQLite (used on the default stand alone Kodi), and with large music or video collections you may notice this. Also having the db across a network will be slower than having it on the SD card.
(2018-06-01, 08:28)DaveBlake Wrote: MySQL is generally slower than SQLite
I think that is very machine/situation specific. In all my years of using MySQL with XBMC or Kodi, I never got the feeling that there was real difference. Although I do mainly use Intel-based machines with gigabit connections, and I use my now RPi3B+ only from time to time. My family runs MySQL off a 209+ Synology NAS with a Raspberry Pi 2. I never got the impression it was slow(er), because Kodi also applies internal sorting routines, which on a slow RPi balances out the speed differences. Just my 0.02c . Smile
MySQL is only on the newer/larger MyCloud devices - I have it available on my MyCloud Mirror Gen1, but I don't think it's on the older standard single-disk versions.

Even then running it there caused quite significant slow-down on my devices, as the database is stored on the drives, so they have to be awoken/spun-up when the database needs to be read or updated. Even on a fully wired network between my Pi3 and MCM it still took several seconds.

If you do want to run a MySQL type database and are on LibreElec, one option is to install the docker support add-on, and then also the Linuxserver.io repo (from the main LE repo) and then use their MariaDB container.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-06-01, 10:47)DarrenHill Wrote: MySQL is only on the newer/larger MyCloud devices - I have it available on my MyCloud Mirror Gen1, but I don't think it's on the older standard single-disk versions.

Even then running it there caused quite significant slow-down on my devices, as the database is stored on the drives, so they have to be awoken/spun-up when the database needs to be read or updated. Even on a fully wired network between my Pi3 and MCM it still took several seconds.

If you do want to run a MySQL type database and are on LibreElec, one option is to install the docker support add-on, and then also the Linuxserver.io repo (from the main LE repo) and then use their MariaDB container.
 Well since my old My Cloud isnt fast enough for MySQL and the Pi-3+ doesn't cut it anymore with such a large library Guess my next option is Micro-PC any suggestions ? any with HDMI TV Remote support CEC
Not from me - I run a mariaDB container under Docker (the LibreElec setup I mentioned above) on a Pi 3b and it suffices fine for my needs.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
How large is your library ?
(2018-06-03, 17:17)Rickt1962 Wrote:
(2018-06-01, 10:47)DarrenHill Wrote: MySQL is only on the newer/larger MyCloud devices - I have it available on my MyCloud Mirror Gen1, but I don't think it's on the older standard single-disk versions.

Well since my old My Cloud isnt fast enough for MySQL and the Pi-3+ doesn't cut it anymore with such a large library Guess my next option is Micro-PC any suggestions ? any with HDMI TV Remote support CEC 
Why not just get an old PC, nothing special and turn it into a media server.  I have an old Acer Revo that is no good for much else managing all of my media/MySQL.

Here...
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275081
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Wasn't there a kodi forum thread that outlined optimisations that could be done to greatly improve MYSQL performance?
Sadly my google foo is not working at the moment so i can't provide a link to said thread.
I'm a XBMC novice :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi-3 Does it have Limitations ?0