Solved Kodi Broken After Upgrade to Android 8.0
This is on an Nvidia Shield TV (Android), connected to a 720p HDTV. Kodi is installed from the google play store. Kodi has worked a long time, but recently I installed the latest nvidia shield tv update (which brought it up to android 8.0), and since that time kodi no longer starts. Bit of a pain to get the entire log off the machine, but I'm typing up what I believe are the relevant portions:

From the start of the log:
Starting Kodi (17.6 Git:20171119-ced5097). Platform Android ARM 64-bit
Using Release Kodi x64 build
Kodi compiled Nov 19 2017 by GCC 4.9.0 for Android ARM 64-bit API level 21 (API level 21)
Running on NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV with Android 8.0.0 API level 26, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 3.10.96-tegra

From the end:
NOTICE: InitWindowSystem: Using EGL Implementation: android
ERROR: EGL failed to return any matching configurations: 0
ERROR: InitWindowSystem: Could not find a compatible configuration
FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

I tried:
- Restarting the machine
- Force killing kodi, renaming the "guisettings.xml", and then starting the app, just in case some setting in there was busted. On startup Kodi created a new guisettings.xml file, but it still behaved the same, it throws me back to the home screen and this error is in the log.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with config files or installing a newer APK. Anyone have any ideas that are likely to work? Thanks in advance.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Thanks for the reply!

I figured this out. I had long ago created an advancedsettings.xml so I could sync watched state with my sql server, and that file had a gui section that was pretty barebones. Commenting the gui section out fixed it.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Broken After Upgrade to Android 8.00