Solved What is the secret to getting a MCE compatible remote to work in Ubuntu 18.04
Ive just swapped over from lireelec to ubuntu 18.04 and I have the custom file for my remote. where is this placed now on ubuntu 18.04? Is it a straight swap or do I have to start my install from scratch again?
(2018-07-24, 13:46)Schenckmeier Wrote: I think i had the same issue when upgrading from 16.04/17.10 to 18.04.
In 16.04 the hardware-related info was in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf.
Now you have to setup /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf like this:

I can confirm that this works, but I get strange hickups when trying to use the remote (key gets pressed multiple times) Sad. So I will stick to the downgrade method described in https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress.com/...ntu-18-04/.
I just had to specify the driver (sb0540 in my case) and the device (/dev/usb/hidir). I also had to install lirc-compat-remotes additionally to lirc.

Just for the reference, here is my complete lirc_options.conf:
Code:
# These are the default options to lircd, if installed as
# /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf. See the lircd(8) and lircmd(8)
# manpages for info on the different options.
#
# Some tools including mode2 and irw uses values such as
# driver, device, plugindir and loglevel as fallback values
# in not defined elsewhere.

[lircd]
nodaemon        = False
driver          = sb0540
device          = /dev/usb/hidir
output          = /var/run/lirc/lircd
pidfile         = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
plugindir       = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
permission      = 666
allow-simulate  = No
repeat-max      = 600
#effective-user =
#listen         = [address:]port
#connect        = host[:port]
#loglevel       = 6
#release        = true
#release_suffix = _EVUP
#logfile        = ...
#driver-options = ...

[lircmd]
uinput          = False
nodaemon        = False

# [modinit]
# code = /usr/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
# code1 = /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:lirc:rw /dev/uinput
# code2 = ...

# [lircd-uinput]
# add-release-events = False
# release-timeout    = 200
# release-suffix     = _EVUP
i also had the problems with the multiple pressed buttons and this solution worked for me:
Code:
systemctl stop lircd-uinput.service
systemctl disable lircd-uinput.service
Asrock J5040 powered by Ubuntu 23.10 and KODI
For guys like me using their remote with inputlirc, they can still use it with this little tweak: (This solution is not mine, i just found it on the web and it instantly solved my problems, so i like to share it)

just edit this file: /lib/systemd/system/inputlirc.service and add this line:
Code:
ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /var/run/lirc
in [service] .
After saving the edited file do:
Code:
systemctl daemon-reload
done

P.S. Sorry for posting in german
The forum language is English only please.

If that is a problem something like Google Translate is usually acceptable to make a bi-lingual post here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2018-07-24, 19:05)birdwatcher Wrote: Here is the stupidly simple solution to this that actually works:

Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi
BirdWatcher - thanks greatly for this find.  Their site is a pretty good read!
You're welcome, Preacher.  I think there is some interesting stuff there too!
(2018-07-22, 01:04)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:  We tried the solution at https://github.com/clontarfx/kodi-rc6-mce-nolirc but it only made things marginally better - more keys worked, but very often we'd get double keypresses or in other cases we'd have to press a button several times for it to register
 Have you tried the ir-keytable parameters -D (delay) and -P (period).
@Schenckmeier thank you!
I've been trying to get my Medion X10 remote working after upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04 for two days util I found your post.
After restoring all lirc configuration from Ubuntu 16.04 (dirs /etc/lirc/ and /usr/share/lirc) remote still didn't work, but after changing driver in /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf using value from old config (hardware.conf) according to your post remote is finally working exactly the same as in 16.04!
Thank you!
Ok, just so I'm understanding this correctly... Ubuntu 16.04 is shipped with Lirc 0.9.0 which works like a charm. The next LTS, Ubuntu 18.04, is shipped with 0.10.0 which isn't even released yet and which is completely broken. And the only viable workaround is to downgrade using the Lirc packages from 16.04. Or am I missing something?

I'm not really complaining, I got my things running (after a short while of family chrisis) using the downgrade workaround. I just think it's a strange situation. Anyone knows why the heck they chose to use the new Lirc?
(2018-09-24, 17:40)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: Ok, just so I'm understanding this correctly... Ubuntu 16.04 is shipped with Lirc 0.9.0 which works like a charm. The next LTS, Ubuntu 18.04, is shipped with 0.10.0 which isn't even released yet and which is completely broken. And the only viable workaround is to downgrade using the Lirc packages from 16.04. Or am I missing something?
No, I think that pretty much nails it, from what I've seen.  The link that birdwatcher posted (Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi) explains the process.
(2018-09-24, 17:40)Daniel Malmgren Wrote: I'm not really complaining, I got my things running (after a short while of family chrisis) using the downgrade workaround. I just think it's a strange situation. Anyone knows why the heck they chose to use the new Lirc?
Beats me. Seems really stupid since so many people are having problems with the new lirc version, but the Ubuntu developers aren't the only developers to ever break something in a new version and then take their sweet time fixing the problem, causing hours upon hours of frustration for their users.
(2018-09-27, 09:50)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: The link that birdwatcher posted (Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi) explains the process.

Yep, that's the guide I've followed now and it's working nice. My only problem is that it feels like a workaround rather than a solution, and (working as a systems engineer) I've learned the hard way too many times that a workaround will bite me in the tail sooner or later ;-)
The workaround posted here is working in Ubuntu 20.04 which still has this problem. I forgot what I did on 18.04 last time I had this problem. Took a few hours to recall that I didn't have to look at the configs... last time I recall not configuring ANYTHING and just installing the right package. 

https://twosortoftechguys.wordpress.com/...ntu-18-04/

I codified it so I don't forget this again in two years. Hopefully they fix lirc by then, but I won't hold my breath as it's been broken for quite a lifetime already.

Of course, you'll need sudo, but my script does that at the beginning already...
Code:

echo "deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial universe" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/temp.list
apt-get update
apt-get install lirc/xenial -y
apt-mark hold lirc
rm  /etc/apt/sources.list.d/temp.list
I used the "fallback to lirc 0.9.0" on my previous Ubuntu 18.04 install, and it worked (eventually). I am not thrilled with that method, so like others, I have been looking for alternatives, especially before upgrading to 20.04. Still, it's good to see the fallback will still work. I'm checking the using ir-keytable, which kind of works but doesn't stay restricted to Kodi...button presses have effects across the system. In Kodi, some keys like Guide and LiveTV get you to the right place. Some don't work at all (FFW, Record). Others cause actions outside Kodi, For example Volume up/down/mute show system level controls rather than inside Kodi, Others, like "Print", cause a system level screen copy. It looks like this is doing real keyboard key mapping rather than remote button mapping, and without full Lirc, I'm not (yet) sure where the remote mapping can be prioritized. If anyone has had success with this, please post the details.

Another method I have't yet tried recommends putting the remote on an X blacklist. Haven't seen much more about that since....Again, any direct experience would be welcome...

Tnx
b

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the secret to getting a MCE compatible remote to work in Ubuntu 18.040