Solved Some mkv videos have sound while others don't
Hi there, I have installed Kodi on a Asustor AS1604T NAS and came across the issue where some of my media that ends in .mkv will have no sound (all other formats work fine). I have tried changing the audio settings with no change (unless i did something wrong).  
I am connected to my TV though a HDMI cable I have also tried a optical audio cable with the same results. In the log I played one movie where the audio doesn't work then I played one where it did work.

I am a noob at this stuff. I have read people having success by changing  Directsound to WASAPI. But I have no clue how to do this. this is a fresh installation of Kodi.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the painful process to help me remedy this issue.

I hope everything you need is in there.
https://paste.kodi.tv/ezoxovitit
WASAPI is something Windows-related. You are using some Linux distro which Asustor maintain themself.

Do you have passthrough enabled? If yes, try disabling it and using PCM instead of passthrough. Some NAS vendors have removed that option from Kodi due to licence issues, IIRC. That's also the point where we (unfortunately) have to say, that if you using their (Asustors) Kodi, you have to reach out to them to get better support. They implemented Kodi on their NAS-devices, they changed Kodi to work on those devices, so it's up to them to support it.

I know, that's not a satisfying answer. But it is as it is Wink
They removed all codecs that might have patents - nothing we can do.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I just figured it out. Found a patch for the AC3 here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330347  and thanks to Mario_ILI and his post .

Thanks anyway for the help.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some mkv videos have sound while others don't0