kodi installation on fresh Ubuntu Server has unmet dependencies
(2018-08-26, 02:49)Jester1o1 Wrote: Hi, you might be able to approach this from another angle - after a purge try installing using aptitude instead of apt-get. 

I had similar issues after upgrading to ubuntu 18.04.1 from 16.04.5. Kodi wouldn't install due to unmet dependencies, which also had unmet dependencies. Apt couldn't figure it out, aptitude had no problems at all.
 already tried that
last try:

sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi

if you still get errors, post the full output
(2018-08-26, 12:33)wsnipex Wrote: last try:

sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi

Ok, so since I had tried using Lubuntu (and the screen would just go blank)- I needed to reinstall Ubuntu Server, I did that.

I ran:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo add-apt-repository universe

sudo add-apt-repository multiverse

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

sudo apt install kodi

Kodi installed error free (i think that was a first)

When I try to run Kodi, I get:

ERROR: ubable to create GUI. Exiting
double free or corruption (out)
Aborted (core dumped)

I pulled up the error report, and here is the output(this one seems to have the errors):

third error log

I will post the first two screenshots separately (since I apparently can't post multiple links)
(2018-08-27, 03:50)pdxmedia Wrote:

sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi

Ok, so since I had tried using Lubuntu (and the screen would just go blank)- I needed to reinstall Ubuntu Server, I did that.

I ran:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install kodi

Aborted (core dumped)

I pulled up the error report, and here is the output(this one seems to have the errors):

third error log

I will post the first two screenshots separately (since I apparently can't post multiple links) 

second error log
(2018-08-27, 03:51)pdxmedia Wrote:
(2018-08-27, 03:50)pdxmedia Wrote:

sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo apt install kodi

I ran:

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install kodi

Aborted (core dumped)

third error log

second error log 
first error log
your hardware is very old and not supported by current nvidia drivers. Try to install nvidia-legacy driver.
(2018-08-27, 07:15)wsnipex Wrote: your hardware is very old and not supported by current nvidia drivers. Try to install nvidia-legacy driver.
 I tried installing nvidia-340 and it actually decreased the resolution

then I tried launching Kodi and got the same errors...

Anymore guesses?
I'm not guessing, I told you that you need a legacy driver for your GPU.
Add this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/...ubuntu/ppa
then install nvidia-304
(2018-08-28, 09:12)wsnipex Wrote: I'm not guessing, I told you that you need a legacy driver for your GPU.
Add this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/...ubuntu/ppa
then install nvidia-304
 More lovely unmet dependencies (see pic).

https://imgur.com/a/pnc71tj
Were you trying to start kodi from a text console without X started? That says xserver-xorg-core isn't installed.

It isn't really unmet dependencies, it's conflicts. nvidia-304 doesn't work with libglvnd. It's also no longer supported by Nvidia, and does not ship with Ubuntu 18.04. The one in the PPA may or may not be patched to work with the kernel that ships with 18.04. (Edit: I just checked. The one in the ppa wasn't patched for 4.15.)

The hardware you linked has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. This is listed as supported in nvidia-340 on Nvidia's website: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverRe...5161/en-us. Install nvidia-340. Install xserver-xorg. startx before trying to start kodi. The error message you are seeing is because X is not started when you're starting kodi.
ok, if what yasij says also doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas. Generally though, I'd advise to think about a hardware upgrade avoiding nvidia at all costs (if you intend to run linux)
If your hardware isn't supported in 18.04 you will be better off with 16.04 - which works perfectly with Kodi and is still supported by ubuntu for years.

As you're using ubuntu server I'd suggest using this guide - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2749088

I set up my 16.04 HTPC using the guide and it has been rock solid for years.
(2018-08-30, 23:51)Jester1o1 Wrote: If your hardware isn't supported in 18.04 you will be better off with 16.04 - which works perfectly with Kodi and is still supported by ubuntu for years.

As you're using ubuntu server I'd suggest using this guide - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2749088

I set up my 16.04 HTPC using the guide and it has been rock solid for years.
 Thanks! and just to confirm- this is all before I install Kodi?
The kodi install is one of the steps. Install the nvidia video driver before the kodi install step.
(2018-08-31, 07:37)Jester1o1 Wrote: The kodi install is one of the steps. Install the nvidia video driver before the kodi install step.
 Cool, thanks for the clarification (I'm a total linux noob).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi installation on fresh Ubuntu Server has unmet dependencies0