Whitelisting and anamorphic video modes
I upgraded to kodi 18 beta 1 on Ubuntu 18.04 recently. I selected video modes in the auto adjust whitelist including 720x576@50 Hz, 720x480@60 Hz and [email protected] Hz. I tried a PAL DVD rip which is 720x576@50 Hz (Monty Python) and an NTSC DVD rip (The Simpsons) which is [email protected] Hz. Both are 4:3 aspect ratio. These are anamorphic HDMI CEA modes which encode aspect ratio in VIC of the AVI infoframe. The TV detected both modes as 4:3. Kodi treated them as 16:9 modes and scaled the aspect ratio of the videos which caused them to be squashed in the center.

Telling Kodi to stretch to 16:9 fixed the squashing, but it's not really the right solution here. It has to be done per file, and is the wrong thing to do if a square-pixel video mode is selected. Plus, this is really a 4:3 mode that is being sent to the TV.

I'm not sure if xrandr supports aspect ratio information for the modes or what API Kodi is using to change the modes. The TV reports both a 16:9 and 4:3 modes at those resolutions. I think DRM has been updated to report the VIC.

If possible, Kodi should report both the 4:3 and 16:9 modes in the whitelist and select the one that matches the source video.

For now I've disabled the anamorphic modes from my whitelist. This results in double scaling for my case as I don't have an HDMI 2.0 output so I can't output at 3840x2160@50 or @59.94 for those videos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whitelisting and anamorphic video modes0