Keyboard.xml - I need to map a key combination to a remote button
I understand the concept of the keyboard.xml but am having a hard time finding any way of doing what I need.

I have a USB remote that sends keyboard commands. I want to map the remotes volume down button (the code sent while pressing this button is KeyID 61657) to a keyboard keypress of Control-Escape.

Is this possible? All the examples I see online want to map the KeyID to a Kodi action. I need it to be mapped to a modifier keypress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Edited after reading your post again @scott967's message:

You could perhaps just use the key ID directly to do the action you want.
xml:

<key id="61657">VolumeDown</key>

If you are interested in the details, check here. Also, in your Kodi installation folder, check system/keymaps/keyboard.xml for great examples of how many of the keys are made to work; the same file can be found here.

In the past, I have used EventGhost to do that kind of mapping when I couldn't figure IDs.
I don't think there's a way in Kodi to remap a key like that, so Kodi sees a different input TBH.

scott s.
I was just using the volume down button as an example. I’m not looking to actually control the volume here.

What I was hoping to do via remapping was to send a “Ctrl+Esc” keyboard combo command from an unused button on my remote (its one of this OSMBC remotes that sends keyboard commands via a usb dongle).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard.xml - I need to map a key combination to a remote button0