The right way to use xbmc.Playlist for video items
Originally I thought you had to assemble the Playlist after Play()-ing an item, but no. You're supposed to add items to the video Playlist while listing your directory, not on a "resolve" or playback function:
python:
myPlaylist = xbmc.PlayList(xbmc.PLAYLIST_VIDEO) # Get a reference to the "current video playlist", as they call it.
myPlaylist.clear() # Clear it (in case it already had content).

# (...)
# Then while creating your directory items:

myItem = xbmcgui.ListItem(name)
myItem.setArt({...})
myItem.setInfo('video', infoLabels={...})
myItem.setProperty('IsPlayable', 'true')

myPlaylist.add(myUrl, myItem) # <------- Add to the playlist.

xbmcplugin.addDirectoryItem(int(sys.argv[1]), url = myUrl, listitem = myItem, isFolder = False) # Or addDirectoryItems() all of them at once.
xbmcplugin.endOfDirectory(int(sys.argv[1]))
This is the right way to do it.
Then while viewing the directory, the user can press LEFT (sometimes UP depending on the layout mode) to open the settings sideblade where they can choose "Actions: Go To Playlist" to view the playlist that you set up, where they can choose shuffle, repeat one/all/off, etc. and play the items in the list.
The documentation wasn't clear on how to use it, I understood it after seeing the YouTube add-on.

Have a good one.

--------------------------------
This is a continuation of a previous thread, I created the first one in the wrong area: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334889

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The right way to use xbmc.Playlist for video items0