Linux How to hardware decode to VP9 4K video by KODI
For now, i can play 4K h.265 h264 format video smoothly.
How to hardware decode to VP9 4K video by KODI.   It is using SW , Not HW. Although the video also smooth play.
Driver: AMDGPU 18.30
And which hardware specifically are you referring to?
hi,
CPU: R5 1400
GPU: AMD VEGA 56 
Board: B350M
Memory: 8G DDR4 2667MHZ
Use oss drivers, vaapi 2.1 and Mesa > 18.0 with kodi 18

Also provide: vainfo
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Vega doesn't support fixed-function hardware decode of VP9. You need an Raven Ridge APU for it. See: No VP9 before Raven.
No even Profile0? Could you please post vainfo?

Scratch that - the code is obvious ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-09-27, 16:48)yasij Wrote: Vega doesn't support fixed-function hardware decode of VP9. You need an Raven Ridge APU for it. See: No VP9 before Raven.
 vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline:    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               :    VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   :    VAEntrypointVideoProc

OH...AMD NOT SUPPORT VP9 ON LINUX !!!!!
Will it supports in the future when MESA updated
(2018-09-28, 15:27)KOSKERS Wrote: OH...AMD NOT SUPPORT VP9 ON LINUX !!!!!
No, the Vega hardware doesn't support it. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardwa...mentations . "Intel Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake, Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake CPU families, AMD Raven Ridge APU family, and Nvidia Maxwell GM206, Pascal, Volta & Turing GPU families have full fixed function VP9 hardware decoding for highest decoding performance and power efficiency. AMD Vega uses "a hybrid approach where the video and shader engines collaborate to offload work from the CPU"."

Vega's implementation uses a hybrid decoding method with OpenCL shaders on the GPU. AMD would have to implement this for Linux. I don't think the hybrid decoder is even supported on Windows with DXVA anymore: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7j...r_a_while/ . You would have to convince AMD to implement a hybrid decoder for VP9 on Linux. I doubt this happens.
(2018-09-28, 15:50)yasij Wrote:
(2018-09-28, 15:27)KOSKERS Wrote: OH...AMD NOT SUPPORT VP9 ON LINUX !!!!!
No, the Vega hardware doesn't support it. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9#Hardwa...mentations . "Intel Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Amber Lake, Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake CPU families, AMD Raven Ridge APU family, and Nvidia Maxwell GM206, Pascal, Volta & Turing GPU families have full fixed function VP9 hardware decoding for highest decoding performance and power efficiency. AMD Vega uses "a hybrid approach where the video and shader engines collaborate to offload work from the CPU"."

Vega's implementation uses a hybrid decoding method with OpenCL shaders on the GPU. AMD would have to implement this for Linux. I don't think the hybrid decoder is even supported on Windows with DXVA anymore: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7j...r_a_while/ . You would have to convince AMD to implement a hybrid decoder for VP9 on Linux. I doubt this happens. 
VERY CLEAR ANSWER!
Thanks a lot.
I understand now.
Fortunately, VEGA can decode H.264 265 with 4K video with AMDGPU driver.
But i can not start DOTA2 with open source amdgpu NOT AMDGPU PRO can do that.   How sh1t amd is......   Hope next driver can optimize a little.
AMD is not shit. You not getting it to work, while Phoronix benchmarked DOTA on this AMD GPU + open drivers ... is a big difference here.
(2018-09-28, 21:11)fritsch Wrote: AMD is not shit. You not getting it to work, while Phoronix benchmarked DOTA on this AMD GPU + open drivers ... is a big difference here.
 Yes. i saw.  but Phoronix not mentioned how let this works/.
my mistake
When uninstall the dota2 and reinstall. Everything is ok
It seems that steam will make some special optimzation when u r using different drivers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to hardware decode to VP9 4K video by KODI0