What's the deal with Tags?
Tags are great. They can be scraped by various scrapers to provide additional information for media allowing for specific searches, lists or even skin interactions. They can be set by the user through various media manager methods. They can be generalized, customized and bejeweled! (OK not bejeweled).

But then the can also be useless. Various points within Kodi fail to read/recognize tags. They can't be used for skinning variables. They scrape into the library in random order rather than the order from the source. 

Tags have helped me solve a number of ideas within my own personal custom Kodi skin build. I use them for playlists, for icons, or visibles, for lots of things. Bbut then they fail in other ways that, should they work, would be super amazing. I don't understand how they work, why they work here but not there and how Kodi seems to treat them in an erratic fashion rather than an organized method. 

Are Tags somewhat of a forgotten step-child within Kodi? Are there not enough users who've tried to exploit the benefits of Tags so that further development on them happens?

An easy example I can think of is the method of denoting a media type source. From the official Kodi wiki if you'd like your ripped Blu-ray media to display a Blu-ray icon you must do so by using a file naming convention. This will ensure the method, through a variable, will work on all appropriate screens. But why can't we do the same thing with a Tag in the metadata and not have to name files and folders with various additional "tags"?

If I was a better programmer maybe I could understand better but that is not my vocation so I'm posting my thoughts here in hopes those with far better knowledge than I can shed some light on these mysteries for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the deal with Tags?0