Feature request for installer
Is it possible tp create a option in the installer not to update my shortcuts? Right now, the installer has an option not to create any shortcuts in the windows start menu, but that is causing it to delete existing ones.
Basically, I have the Ctrl+shift+1 keyboard shortcut added to my Kodi shortcut so I can start Kodi from the Logitech remote. Every time I install a Kodi update, this get overwritten
I thought this was a pretty good idea.  I too have to alter the shortcut after every new install.  I think it is to be expected though since Windows sees it as a new install and it is a Windows shortcut.  I doubt anything can be done in the KODI install to retain a Windows modification.  It really only pertains to those of us constantly updating nightlies though.  Once a final is released, we won't be doing it as often imo.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
You could try creating a shortcut in a different location and edit that one, leaving the original one untouched, then it shouldn't be afftected by a reinstall
(2018-11-18, 21:36)jools5000 Wrote: You could try creating a shortcut in a different location and edit that one, leaving the original one untouched, then it shouldn't be afftected by a reinstall
Ill try that..
?  Here is my example.  It may be the same or similar to the OP:
We use Logitech remote controls.  This means we set up an activity (KODI) for that remote to initiate.  It turns on all hardware involved (TV, AVR, etc.) and adjusts the hardware input and output settings.  It also needs to start KODI as part of that routine.  So we map a shortcut to KODI.exe to also start with the sequence. 

When we install KODI, there is shortcut in the programs list via the start menu.  This way we don't have to dig in Windows to the x86 programs folder.  We right click that shortcut and navigate to open location.  This navigates to a Windows folder where shortcuts to programs and apps are stored.  Then we right click on the app and select properties.  Now we have an option for a shortcut key to be added.  We strike our shortcut key and save it.  Mine is F6.  The OP's is Ctrl+shift+1.  Next we map that/those keystrokes to our Logitech and now KODI starts with the KODI activity.

When we install a new build of KODI, that shortcut in Windows is overwritten and the value in it's properties is erased because we're starting with a new install.  This happens even though we didn't uninstall the previous installation.  KODI uninstalls it but does give the option to save the userdata folder which is a completely different directory.  Windows has no way of knowing what to do with the new overwritten install in the x86 programs directory.  It just sees a new install so any previous settings changed in the shortcut (a Windows shortcut) are not retained because it's just created a new one.  To me, this is already a shortcut in a different location but maybe I don't clearly understand you.

The feature request is to retain the original shortcut that will retain our shortcut keys instead of overwriting a new one and losing our manual input.  Imo, I don't think it's possible but for some, nothing is impossible.  If it could be done, while it is a minor niche, it would be a nice improvement for users like myself and the OP.  If you know of a different way, please detail.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
An update always uninstalls the current version minus settings.

If i had a custom shotcut i wouls just move it out of the default structure and put it back after upgrade. Maybe my thinking is too simple...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature request for installer0