• 50(current)
Arctic: Zephyr - Reloaded
Hi BeatmasterRS,

Some more observations / bugs (In no particular order) I have run across in the last week. Some of these are pretty minor, but are issues nonetheless. I am a bit OCD about the way things look.

Confused

1. Music OSD - (scrolling) Text Length Issue:

A setting in the Music OSD overlaps the checkbox to enable / disable it. It's a marquee setting label, so does scroll, but it's still too long for the dialog window it resides in.

OSD Menu (Music) - Hide scrolling text on music visualization setting.

2. Next Aired Information - Placeholder (TV Shows):

There's a label present for all TV shows in the library with "Next Aired" TV Show / Episode functionality added. This info, in situations where there is no "Next Aired" add-on installed or there are no upcoming air dates for the selected show / episode, the skin falls back to this rather quirky and somewhat redundant default label. If there is no "upcoming" episode data for a given show or the add-on isn't installed, not displaying anything I think is a better choice. This one is a carry-over (if memory serves) from the original Arctic Zephyr skin. Present at the "TV-Show", "Season" and "Episode" levels.

TV Show - Next Aired / Upcoming episode placeholder

3. Duplicated / Inconsistent PVR Logo Positioning:

There is a second (minaturised) copy of the PVR logo to the left of the channel thumbnail, however in some cases it overlaps the thumbnail image, and since the option to display the channel logo in the channel list (with or without additional channel number) exists, the second logo is somewhat redundant, and too small to be of much practical use in any case.

Live TV - Second PVR channel logo

4. PVR (Digital) Radio Channel Logos - Fullscreen Music Player:

When listening to PVR digital radio channels, the standard PVR logo for that channel is used in the fullscreen music screen. Unfortunately these logos do not conform to the same rules used for music cover artwork. The first problem being that the logo isn't scaled to fit the CD case, the second being that the transparency results in weird display of the CD disc image, and finally, that since this is a broadcast (OTA) stream, the very presence of the CD case and or / CD disc image is somewhat redundant since neither are relevant to the stream type being played...

Fullscreen Music - PVR Radio Channels

...The same applies to internet radio streams. While it is music, it's not "CD-based" music, so maybe the CD case and disc image should be removed for internet streams as well, but retain the cover artwork (with or without a standard border)...

Digitally Imported - Internet Music Stream

5. Video OSD - TV Shows, Movies & Live TV (Feedback):

There doesn't seem to be any backdrop for the fullscreen video OSD panel. Not sure whether this is a bug or by design. However, at a distance the icons are hard to see against the background video image (The supplied screenshot is a bad example). Also, if the transparent background is by design, I feel the row of icons should be a bit lower down on the screen. Also, maybe instead of a background, perhaps dimming the video with the OSD panel visible would make the buttons stand out more, or even simply adding some shadowing to the button icons & text labels. The text labels either side of the playback controls could also do with being expanded in width. There is plenty of space to extend them in size, and make them more readable.

Now Playing Video - OSD Panel

6. Borders - Revisited (Feedback):

No screenshots for this one but I'm seeing some inconsistencies with the borders for the default (curved) theme. Larger items like large posters and CD covers are fine, but smaller items like small CD cover artwork (icon view), dialog progress notifications and posters for movies and TV shows are still looking "pinched" at the corners. Also, on large posters, the border isn't equal in width around the entire poster for both the default theme and for the "Flat" theme. The left and bottom sides are thicker than the top and right sides slightly. Not sure if your done with your testing on this, so if you want screenshot examples, let me know.

EDIT: 7. Persistent On Screen Music Info (Feature Request):

Would it be possible to have the option to have the display of Album Artwork, CD Disc image, ClearLogo / ClearART, Artist Information (If Enabled) and seek bar made persistent please? Currently, this disappears after about 3 seconds from the start of the track. Quite often, when playing a new album, I glance at the TV to see the name of a playing track, but it's after the 3 second timeout so I need to return to the previous screen to see the track information. Also, with "Artist Information" enabled, there's not enough time to read the artist biography before the whole thing disappears off the screen. Especially when it uses vertically scrolling text. Maybe add a few preset timeout values like 5, 10, 30 seconds as well as an "Always On" setting?

Music Visualization Screen - Artist Information

Regards,

Dan / Gib.
6. screenshots would be nice Smile
(2020-03-01, 21:41)beatmasterrs Wrote: 6. screenshots would be nice Smile

Hi BeatmasterRS,

With regards the above, and for clarification, I run all my systems at 1080p resolution (HTPC + TV, Desktop and Laptop). Not got any interest in 2160p (4K), especially as my poor eyesight wouldn't be able to appreciate it anyway. I do know that in some cases Kodi can "scale" graphics to fit the set viewport size, either up or down. This is especially noticeable if accessing a target device with Kodi active, using VNC software like TeamViewer or AnyDesk (I use the latter), or in Windowed mode on the same machine. With that being the case, what I'm seeing may not be an accurate reflection of the work you've done if your designing at "4K" or above.

Large format music cover artwork looks fine, with respect to the borders. I'm not sure if the curvature at the corners is uniform, as it looks a bit flatter across the top, than down the sides, but again, this may be down to scaling. Either way there's no issue with border widths or corner thickness for these artwork views in the music library.

Music Library - Large Format Artwork (Screenshot)
Music Library - Icon / Wall - Album View (screenshot)

However, for the video library views (TV Shows and Movies) in the "Skin Default" (curved) theme, the corners on the small posters are what I call "pinched". AKA they are less visible at the point of the curve, than on the straight sides. The same applies to the pop-up notifications (top-right area notifications) and the "Loading Content" dialog that appears at startup on the home screen. Also, for large format posters (this applies to both themes; Skin Default and Flat) there is a 2px border at the left edge and bottom edge, vs. a 1px border at the right edge and top edge.

Video Library - Large Poster Corners vs. Small Poster Corners
Video Library - Large Poster Border Width Inconsistency (All Themes)

Finally, after spending some more time with the "Fullscreen MusicVis" view, and with respect to Point No. 7 (post #736) I saw an opportunity for optimizing the "Artist Information" text box and making the whole area a bit more readable, not to mention tidier.

As it stands, with "Artist Information" enabled, you have a fairly wide block of text that's going to start scrolling upwards not long after the view loads. The current allocated space for the text box, is a bit too wide, and not tall enough to be able to read a full line of text before it's scrolling off the top of the area, meaning you have to be able to read fairly quickly, this is aside from the fact the whole thing (currently) disappears within 3 seconds anyway...

Music Visualization Screen - Artist Information

My suggestion is to reduce the overall width of the "Artist Information" text-box, but increase the height, and with it, raise up the "Track Title" and "Track Artist" to be flush / level with the top edge of the album cover artwork (indicated by the dotted line in the screenshot below). This will make the biography / artist information easier to read before it scrolls up off the top edge of the text-box. This will also allow the "User Rating Icon" to be moved to the left, and possibly leave enough space for the ClearLogo / ClearArt to be displayed in it's own area to the right-hand-side. In this configuration, the track format / bitrate information, progress / seek bar and duration positioning & size remain unchanged.

Music Visualization Screen - Artist Information (Suggested Mod / Tidy-Up)

This will be my last suggestion / request for a while, promise! lol.

Wink

Regards,

Dan / Gib.

EDIT: Actually, as it stands, progress dialogs look fine actually, so disregard those.
Another small observation (I forgot to add to the earlier list)...

Spacing inconsistency between "Age Rating" Icon and "Duration" icon.

TV Show - Icon Spacing

As the above suggests, the "Age Rating" icon spacing is inconsistent with the spacing of other icons in the row, for TV Shows at least. Haven't seen the duration icon show up at this level for movies (yet) to be able to comment on that area.

Regards,

Dan / Gib.
No idea if this is possible, but I wanted to at least ask Smile.... is it possible to add the rotten tomato & meta critics icons/ratings to the home screen widget for tv shows and movies...?
(2020-03-03, 04:04)rhoop206 Wrote: No idea if this is possible, but I wanted to at least ask Smile.... is it possible to add the rotten tomato & meta critics icons/ratings to the home screen widget for tv shows and movies...?

I would also like to see mc and rt ratings. Smile I'm trying to implement it, but currently it doesn't work yet and I don't know why.  Confused I need to take a closer look at this.
(2020-03-03, 01:08)gibxxi Wrote: Another small observation (I forgot to add to the earlier list)...

TV Show - Icon Spacing

As the above suggests, the "Age Rating" icon spacing is inconsistent with the spacing of other icons in the row, for TV Shows at least. Haven't seen the duration icon show up at this level for movies (yet) to be able to comment on that area.

Regards,

Dan / Gib.

Thanks for your suggestions. Smile As you can see on github, the optimization is not finished yet Smile I will let you know as soon as there is something new. Feel free to install and test the latest version of github to see the current progress Smile
(2020-03-03, 16:29)beatmasterrs Wrote:
(2020-03-03, 01:08)gibxxi Wrote: Another small observation (I forgot to add to the earlier list)...

TV Show - Icon Spacing

Regards,

Dan / Gib.

Thanks for your suggestions. Smile As you can see on github, the optimization is not finished yet Smile I will let you know as soon as there is something new. Feel free to install and test the latest version of github to see the current progress Smile   

Hi BeatmasterRS,

Will do, and take your time. I mention these things so that I know they are "on radar" so-to-speak. No rush needed on my behalf (Not to mention I have a pretty poor short-term memory).

Smile

Dan / Gib.

EDIT: Just pulled your latest updates for the last 24 hours. Movie posters (large and small) looking fine, you nailed it, well done!
(2020-03-03, 04:04)rhoop206 Wrote: No idea if this is possible, but I wanted to at least ask Smile.... is it possible to add the rotten tomato & meta critics icons/ratings to the home screen widget for tv shows and movies...?

It's done. Please install and test the latest version. I have integrated the ratings for now only as text Smile

https://github.com/beatmasterRS/skin.arc...master.zip
(2020-03-04, 01:54)beatmasterrs Wrote:

It's done. Please install and test the latest version. I have integrated the ratings for now only as text Smile

https://github.com/beatmasterRS/skin.arc...master.zip

You’re awesome @beatmasterrs! Thanks for figuring out a solution so quickly Smile... the text ratings are working great within my “movies” widget on my home screen (which is more important in my opinion than on my TV Shows widget)... that said I’m not seeing these ratings Within my TV Shows widget but I suppose that could be because the widget is showing my “next up” episode, in which case, there prob isn’t an Mc or RT rating... is that fair to assume?

Thank you again and great work as always 😎👍🤜🤛
Is it possible to add HDR media flag in the skin? I've been looking into the KODI docs, and it seems currently streamdetails table doesn't have any particular field to identify if the stream is HDR or not, so it doesn't seem like KODI's DB itself won't provide any info to set the flag. I read somewhere about a workaround by adding the text "HDR" in filename and using it to display HDR media flag, but that seems bit cumbersome and I like to keep the file names clean with just movie title.

So my question is: Is it possible to add something like ".nomedia" file in the movie folder (in this case, ".hdr" file) and display media flag based on that? It's still cumbersome to do this for every movie that's in HDR format, but at least it'll be easy to get rid of ".hdr" files in future instead of renaming everything again (once next KODI version adds HDR field in streamdetails table). If this is possible, how do I go about adding code into the theme file for the same?
(2020-03-04, 17:14)DeadDuck Wrote: Is it possible to add HDR media flag in the skin? I've been looking into the KODI docs, and it seems currently streamdetails table doesn't have any particular field to identify if the stream is HDR or not, so it doesn't seem like KODI's DB itself won't provide any info to set the flag. I read somewhere about a workaround by adding the text "HDR" in filename and using it to display HDR media flag, but that seems bit cumbersome and I like to keep the file names clean with just movie title.

So my question is: Is it possible to add something like ".nomedia" file in the movie folder (in this case, ".hdr" file) and display media flag based on that? It's still cumbersome to do this for every movie that's in HDR format, but at least it'll be easy to get rid of ".hdr" files in future instead of renaming everything again (once next KODI version adds HDR field in streamdetails table). If this is possible, how do I go about adding code into the theme file for the same?

The current solution is that if the folder/file name contains "hdr", the HDR icon is also displayed. This implementation has been there for a while Smile

Hi there just loaded your fantastic modded skin and im having an issue when i play a movie or watch live tv no matter what addon i get an error top left corner saying " ERROR IN LINE 137" and stays on screen all the time till i go back to main menu. Now ive looked in the log but does not show so i have no idea what line 137 it refers to any help would bbe great this is doing my head in lol
(2020-03-06, 20:23)Bushman1 Wrote: Hi there just loaded your fantastic modded skin and im having an issue when i play a movie or watch live tv no matter what addon i get an error top left corner saying " ERROR IN LINE 137" and stays on screen all the time till i go back to main menu. Now ive looked in the log but does not show so i have no idea what line 137 it refers to any help would bbe great this is doing my head in lol

Does this also happen on other skins? Can you provide a screenshot and/or a debug.log please? Smile
(2020-03-07, 08:57)beatmasterrs Wrote:
(2020-03-06, 20:23)Bushman1 Wrote: Hi there just loaded your fantastic modded skin and im having an issue when i play a movie or watch live tv no matter what addon i get an error top left corner saying " ERROR IN LINE 137" and stays on screen all the time till i go back to main menu. Now ive looked in the log but does not show so i have no idea what line 137 it refers to any help would bbe great this is doing my head in lol

Does this also happen on other skins? Can you provide a screenshot and/or a debug.log please? Smile 

No it only happens on your mod and the original zepher
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic: Zephyr - Reloaded11