Setting up SMB or NFS on mac
So this is the thread where all the Mac pros hang out?  I am a brand new convert (or aspiring convert, I should say) from Windows.  Couldn't resist the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the M1's performance and figured it would take several years for Intel to catch up with this kind of silicon, which only means that Apple will keep growing its market share, and it was finally time to leave Windows.

Well, I've had a very tough first 24 hours with my new Macbook Pro.  The learning curve is insane, and all my workflows have been turned upside down.  To ease the transition, I've tried to make it feel like Windows as much as possible by using my existing keyboard and mouse, but the design differences in the two OS's are just too fundamental.  The hardware is mind-blowing, but the OS is causing me a lot of pain.  Spent $20 right away on a NTFS-mounting app and will probably spend more on various other solutions to further reduce friction.

Back on topic, one of my biggest dependencies was Kodi (streaming content to Nvidia Shield) and after several hours, I've finally gotten it to work by forcing SMB1 and making some odd and unintuitive selections in System preferences.  I did cheat by assigning my old Windows PC's static IP to the Macbook in router settings to avoid the library being duplicated, which happened to me at least twice in the past.

I hope that as the Mac market share continues to grow, we do get a more robust and secure sharing solution that doesn't require being a Unix expert to set up.  I am nowhere near the required level of understanding of MacOS to try the NFS method right now, and it seems these setups break with version upgrades anyway.

Messages In This Thread
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by shindou1 - 2018-11-30, 23:19
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2018-11-30, 23:29
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:44
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:48
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by teomor - 2019-10-26, 12:28
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Knocks - 2022-02-13, 05:56
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2022-02-13, 08:26
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac0