Setting up SMB or NFS on mac
(2022-02-13, 05:56)Knocks Wrote: I hope that as the Mac market share continues to grow, we do get a more robust and secure sharing solution that doesn't require being a Unix expert to set up.  I am nowhere near the required level of understanding of MacOS to try the NFS method right now, and it seems these setups break with version upgrades anyway.

For what it's worth, I don't use MacOS machines but I have used Ubuntu Linux now for some 12 years now. And sure, every OS has its nicknacks. But setting up a working NFS share has become a matter of a 1-3 minutes (depending on how fast I type). In a session terminal, installing the NFS server means typing 1 line (sudo apt install nfs-kernel-server), adding NFS shares is 1 line per share in the /etc/exports file, then 'activate' the exports file with a single command, and then restart the nfs server with also 1 command. Done.

NFS has much less of a problem with versions like SMB does. Creating a SMB/NFS share on OS level is recommended so Kodi won't have to deal with the any setup problems.

I'm sure other people can set up SMB shares in Linux or MacOS or Windows just as fast, but I'm no MacOS or Windows guy. Getting to know a new OS takes time, and with MacOS you should be able to handle lots of things via the command line or scripts (MacOS is basically Linux as well). I set up a new Linux pc with all its programs and tools via the command line only. Only the little tweaks are done via the GUI.

Messages In This Thread
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by shindou1 - 2018-11-30, 23:19
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2018-11-30, 23:29
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:44
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:48
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by teomor - 2019-10-26, 12:28
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Knocks - 2022-02-13, 05:56
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2022-02-13, 08:26
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac0