Setting up SMB or NFS on mac
Most of the differences on Macs from Windows are easier to do on Macs. Other things are surprisingly similar (i.e. I had no real trouble adjusting either way over the years). The biggest difference is COMMAND-C (Apple icon on Apple keyboards) instead of Control-C and installing and deleting programs are usually drag and drop on the Mac (yeah drag to trashcan to delete; no uninstall program to run normally). Of course, there are exceptions to that with a few programs, but that's the norm.

Apple has made getting up NFS on a Mac a PITA in more recent years with their removal of their own install (used to come with server tools) and then that security boot crap nonsense that won't let you modify system files without jumping through boot plus Shell hoops. Even if you turn it off, updates reenable it. They probably got even more crappy on recent OS updates (My Intel Mac Mini was never updated to the OS version that broke 32-bit apps since I have some very expensive pro apps that are 32-bit and I'm not renting Photoshop!

I've got it set up here to also boot Windows 10 and have software on both operating systems to read and write each others drives. Until last KODI Matrix I could boot to either OS and my KODI players around the house wouldn't know or care which OS I was on as the media drives were available on both. The more recent requirement to have an actual stupid login name and password to set up SMB (never used to need it and the Mac certainly doesn't at all require it to access media shared locally) may have screwed that up (haven't booted into Windows in like 2 years now). It's easy to create a dummy account on the Mac to just allow media access, but I'm less sure what to do on Windows. It doesn't seem worth the bother given how little I use Windows anymore.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

Messages In This Thread
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by shindou1 - 2018-11-30, 23:19
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2018-11-30, 23:29
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:44
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Kotek67 - 2019-10-14, 16:48
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by teomor - 2019-10-26, 12:28
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Knocks - 2022-02-13, 05:56
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by Klojum - 2022-02-13, 08:26
RE: Setting up SMB or NFS on mac - by VonMagnum - 2022-02-14, 15:05
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up SMB or NFS on mac0