• 6(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
(2023-05-09, 01:32)scott967 Wrote:
Quote:
Well the diffs are there, but is there any way to use them?
No idea. I'm not a developer. I just assumed that PR contained the complete code.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-05-08, 23:20)Karellen Wrote:
(2023-05-08, 23:17)ashlar Wrote: But was his/her work lost?
No... https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21469
Ok, thanks. I missed the "commits" on top... it's a shame that he stopped, though. There was interest in what he was doing.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It's a cursed feature. Two members have contributed, and both have abandoned it.

Rereading the comments in the PR, the Team seemed fairly supported and only nit-picked some coding. Nobody on the team said "no this is wrong, we want it done a different way". Then general members questioned the approach and the activity seemed to die there.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2023-05-09, 03:14)Karellen Wrote: hen general members questioned the approach and the activity seemed to die there.
Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much in that but I had the impression that the back and forth annoyed him/her somehow. Although I don't see how, it's the only explanation that makes sense, imho.

Wish I could code, this feature would really help me out in my db organization :-(
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It means the code can't be branched by someone else to easily continue where ccope left off, as the source repo/branch has been deleted a full copy of the code no longer exisits only the diffs remain, however all I think they did was rebase the orginal code from https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14972 which came from https://github.com/xodidox/xbmc/tree/movieversion so it would work on a newer Kodi version.
(2023-05-09, 15:08)ashlar Wrote: Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much in that but I had the impression that the back and forth annoyed him/her somehow. Although I don't see how, it's the only explanation that makes sense, imho.
They mentioned
Quote:my C++ skills are mediocre at best
so perhaps they felt the adjustments requested for the code to be in an acceptable state was beyond their capabilities. A lot of work in recent times has gone into improving code quality to provide a more solid foundation which is easier to maintain, so anything new must not undo or hinder these efforts.

Unfortunately it does mean the bar is now higher that must be cleared for code to be accepted. However it does mean that when something does get in, it's less likely break, and if it does break and author is not around to fix then it's easier for someone else to have a go.
I should also add that although the bar is now set a bit higher for code to accepted, however we don't want that to put people off, if your C++ skill aren't great still try and give it a go, and if the code is not up to stratch as seems to have happened here then please make sure ask for help and the Team will do what it can to assit/coach.
I begin to have more and more movies in "4k UHD" format and also in "HD".  I realized I would like to group multiple versions of a movie in one single entry. So I discovered this thread and I would appreciate if this feature could be implemented. At best, it will take a long time to be implemented. Otherwise it will never be implemented.

So I had a look at a workaround and I will summarize what I found. I think it can help other users. Sorry if somebody else already did it. In that case I didn't find this summary.

First you can have a look at this this thread. It's best the read it, but a solution is given here. The idea is to group all versions to a movie set. I won't use this method, because some movie sets are already defined. In my library I would like to group "4k UHD" version and "HD" version of a movie. I would only group movies with both version. If I have the "Alien" or "Terminator" collection, I don't want to group those collections. As far as I know, I can group all collections or none. I can't define to group only some collections.

Another thread is this one. The whole thread is also worth reading, you can find and interesting proposal here, I didn't know it was possible. 

I know it's possible to use playlists. I could define a playlist with "HD" version of a movie and another playlist with "4k UHD" version. I also won't use this solution, because I have the majority of movies with only the "HD" version. I would like to have all my movies in one list.

I will probably use the Extras folder with the Extras addon. I know which version of the movie I prefer, usually "4k UHD", so I would put the other version in the Extras folder. In my case, when I have a "4k UHD" version I know have also the "HD" version. The same logic could be use for an "extended" version of a movie or "director's" cut.

If somebody wants, its possible to put those information in a more appropriate location, like the wiki.
Hello everyone! I'm back.
(2023-10-05, 10:45)XODIDOX Wrote: Hello everyone! I'm back.
Hello, and welcome back!!
My Signature
As a work-round, I've created a source folder for all my 4K ATM, I differentiate each with the designated 4K UHD poster along with skin Aeon Nox which tags as 10bit. Simple matter of creating node: or smart playlist to bring up the path. I do use the add-on 'extras' but without a designated notice that a film has extras, it's mostly unused.
(2023-10-05, 10:45)XODIDOX Wrote: Hello everyone! I'm back.

Do you intend to start working on this feature again? It would be much appreciated!
Exciting update on this feature:

I've redesigned this feature, it's now named "Video Versions". And with the solid base of it, I've added the video extras support to Kodi natively (for movie only currently, but it's also possible for TV Shows/Music Videos, etc.). The video versions are in language file now, so they can be localized for different languages. Designing a dedicated dialog to present this information in UI currently. Will update the PR and add some screenshots soon.
A well needed feature.
(2023-10-11, 23:53)XODIDOX Wrote: Exciting update on this feature:

I've redesigned this feature, it's now named "Video Versions". And with the solid base of it, I've added the video extras support to Kodi natively (for movie only currently, but it's also possible for TV Shows/Music Videos, etc.). The video versions are in language file now, so they can be localized for different languages. Designing a dedicated dialog to present this information in UI currently. Will update the PR and add some screenshots soon.

Thank you! I strongly hope this can make it in time for Kodi 21. What do you think, @Karellen? Any chance still?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1