• 25(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
(2023-12-31, 11:43)ksooo Wrote: @ashlar and others I suggest to follow our activities on GitHub, both the open issues and the PRs flagged with the label „Feature: Video Versions/Extras“ give you the best overview what is already known issues and what already is worked on. If you know about issues not logged there, please open a new issue. So we can best keep track.
Ok, I will do that later on. I am always... careful in writing on GitHub as, in my mind at least, that's "devs only" territory.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Simple rule for GitHub:
But reports are very welcome.
Feature discussions and requests belong to the forum.
Do not hijack existing issues or PRs to start unrelated off topic discussions
(2023-12-31, 14:32)ksooo Wrote: Simple rule for GitHub:
But reports are very welcome.
Feature discussions and requests belong to the forum.
Do not hijack existing issues or PRs to start unrelated off topic discussions
Wrote in the existing video versions artwork issue that CrystalP created. I hope the description is clear enough.

There is still the issue of that empty entry in the manage list... Aeon Nox shows it as "Also known as"... something I had never seen before. Estuary shows it as an empty entry in the menu. I don't know if that empty entry is there because Aeon Nox modifes something (never seen a skin influencing a different one but you never know...).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Confirmed the empty context menu item when using 'Manage...' from the context menu with 'Show videos with multiple versions as folder' enabled.

@ashlar please open a bug report.
(2023-12-31, 16:23)Hitcher Wrote: @ashlar please open a bug report.
I'll gladly do it but I'm afraid I won't be able to until tomorrow... :-(
(2023-12-31, 16:37)ashlar Wrote: I'll gladly do it but I'm afraid I won't be able to until tomorrow... :-(
No need now as ksooo has already fixed the problem.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24373
(2023-12-31, 16:23)Hitcher Wrote: @ashlar please open a bug report.
Done: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/24377

EDIT
This teaches me about not refreshing web pages when I open my browser... sorry. I'll check if I can mark it as solved.
One thing I have noticed. I am using The Movie Database Python (2.1.0) scraper and it often creates a Movie Set, with the same movie in 1080p and 4K versions. With Movie Versions being introduced, this creates an overlap that should be avoided. It might have been handy before, I don't know...

I am reporting this here and not opening an issue in GitHub because I'm not sure if it depends on the scraper or what.
a set can be 1 movie (regardless if it has one ore more edition), if you have this enabled:
settings > media > videos > include sets containing a single movie
(2023-12-29, 19:55)ashlar Wrote: I still think I was right in my proposal. Movie Versions do not need more than one contextual menu entry.

Edit: I see @ksoo is proceeding with the two entries, while renaming entries. I might miss something that makes the two entries needed, I really don't know what but I'd like for somebody to enlighten me (and I'm not ironic, I'm genuinely curious).

I wrote here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24356 but I see the issue is already closed. Don't even know if anybody would read what I wrote. I tried contributing to this, but after xodidox went away... it seems all discussion moved to somewhere behind the scenes, ignoring what had been said here. :-(

Just to let you know in case you don't stay in touch with developments, then the Convert context menu option is now gone. It was only their for convience however we could see it was causing more confusion and than any convience, so all version additions are handled are now soley handled in the Manage dialog and we've also sought to improve the process by including suggestions and options to browse files or library entries.
(2024-01-03, 14:47)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2023-12-29, 19:55)ashlar Wrote: I still think I was right in my proposal. Movie Versions do not need more than one contextual menu entry.

Edit: I see @ksoo is proceeding with the two entries, while renaming entries. I might miss something that makes the two entries needed, I really don't know what but I'd like for somebody to enlighten me (and I'm not ironic, I'm genuinely curious).

I wrote here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/24356 but I see the issue is already closed. Don't even know if anybody would read what I wrote. I tried contributing to this, but after xodidox went away... it seems all discussion moved to somewhere behind the scenes, ignoring what had been said here. :-(

Just to let you know in case you don't stay in touch with developments, then the Convert context menu option is now gone. It was only their for convience however we could see it was causing more confusion and than any convience, so all version additions are handled are now soley handled in the Manage dialog and we've also sought to improve the process by including suggestions and options to browse files or library entries.
Yeah, I have noticed that and commented on GitHub (I have a different handle there). I think the decision is wise.
Just updated to the most recent nightly and things seem to be coming along great.  There is one minor issue I've bumped into, though.  That's the use of Extras.  If I have a movie (with only one version) and bring up the context menu, I select Extras and get the list of videos in the extras subfolder of the movie folder.  When I do that on a movie with multiple versions, I only see the extras content associated with the default version of the movie.  Maybe when an alternate version is added to a movie, the associated extras can be associated with it too in some way?

EDIT:
Checking some more, I see that accessing extras through the info screen does work with including extras from all versions.  It's just accessing Extras from the context menu that only shows them from the default version.
(2024-01-03, 02:26)thezoggy Wrote: a set can be 1 movie (regardless if it has one ore more edition), if you have this enabled:
settings > media > videos > include sets containing a single movie
That's not my case. I have that option disabled. But if there are two files, one 1080p and one 4K, the movie set gets created automatically, containing the two versions of the movie. Problem is, it's the same movie and now that we have Movie versions, that behavior should be stopped somehow.

I tag @jjd-uk to ask whether I should open an issue for this or if this can be looked into. It's not a problem of this feature, it's more, I think, a problem with how scrapers have handled this in the absence of Movie Versions. But now that they are available...

Edit: I suppose this might not be a problem for the future? Now when you scan a new version of a movie you get asked straight away if you want to add it as an extra version of an existing movie. Maybe that's enough to stop the creation of Movie Sets with two versions of the same movie, I don't know...
Good point about adding movies with extras to another movie. The extras are lost in my limited testing. To be fixed!

BTW if you still have an Extras context menu button in the recent nightlies, it means you're not using the new version function but the extras addon. A completely separate thing.

edit: PR submiitted.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
While they are initially a 'set' as soon as you make them versions they cease being a 'set'.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1