• 26(current)
[New Feature] Movie version
(2024-01-05, 02:25)ashlar Wrote:
(2024-01-03, 02:26)thezoggy Wrote: a set can be 1 movie (regardless if it has one ore more edition), if you have this enabled:
settings > media > videos > include sets containing a single movie
That's not my case. I have that option disabled. But if there are two files, one 1080p and one 4K, the movie set gets created automatically, containing the two versions of the movie. Problem is, it's the same movie and now that we have Movie versions, that behavior should be stopped somehow.

I tag @jjd-uk to ask whether I should open an issue for this or if this can be looked into. It's not a problem of this feature, it's more, I think, a problem with how scrapers have handled this in the absence of Movie Versions. But now that they are available...

Edit: I suppose this might not be a problem for the future? Now when you scan a new version of a movie you get asked straight away if you want to add it as an extra version of an existing movie. Maybe that's enough to stop the creation of Movie Sets with two versions of the same movie, I don't know...

As I understand it, the "show sets of only one movie" option is only about displaying it as a set or not in the library. Even if it doesn't show as one, it could still be connected to a set.

For instance, if I have a single Star Wars movie in my collection, it will scrape as being part of the Star Wars set. It makes sense that it should do that. That way if I later add another movie in that set, I would then have a set of two movies.

Adding a second version of the same Star Wars movie, at this point, should just be added as another version of the one movie, which would then exist in a set of one again.

My general practice if I have a movie that is part of a set that I have zero intention of ever adding to is to just remove the movie from the set after it's scanned in.
(2024-01-05, 02:50)CrystalP Wrote: BTW if you still have an Extras context menu button in the recent nightlies, it means you're not using the new version function but the extras addon. A completely separate thing.

I assumed as much. With the new extras function built in, I guess the add-on will be rendered moot.
(2024-01-05, 03:24)NeoCortex Wrote:
(2024-01-05, 02:50)CrystalP Wrote: BTW if you still have an Extras context menu button in the recent nightlies, it means you're not using the new version function but the extras addon. A completely separate thing.

I assumed as much. With the new extras function built in, I guess the add-on will be rendered moot.
For those that have always just used the "Extras" subfolder for movies/tv content and relied on the addon. will this versions feature show that "Extras" folder contents?
No. Full support for extra was postponed to v22, there is to many things missing in the current implementation as of now.

What will be possible is to add extras to movies and play them using video info dialog -> button extras
All movies that I checked with an Extras subfolder worked perfectly for me without having to add each extra individually.
Yeah the scanner recognizes a movie subfolder named exactly "extras" (case insensitive) and adds the contained files to the list of extras of the movie (provided you did not change the setting to ignore extras on scan).
They're playable with the extras addon as before, but also through the extras button in the info dialog (new core feature).
Through manage extras you can also add randomly located videos as extras of a movie.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-01-06, 21:49)CrystalP Wrote: Yeah the scanner recognizes a movie subfolder named exactly "extras" (case insensitive) and adds the contained files to the list of extras of the movie (provided you did not change the setting to ignore extras on scan).
They're playable with the extras addon as before, but also through the extras button in the info dialog (new core feature).
Through manage extras you can also add randomly located videos as extras of a movie.

excellent, that is pretty much what i hoped for.
Jellyfin already has established methods of both Video Versions and Extras, which are automatically named using the file structure. I recommend mirroring these features, which would also make syncing with Jellyfin (and likely other backends) more straightforward.  I know it's getting late in the game, and I see above that some of the Extras functionality is being delayed to v22...but it'd be nice to have this sooner than later!
(2024-01-07, 08:36)olevelo Wrote: Jellyfin already has established methods of both Video Versions and Extras
And so does Plex but they both use different methods! We haven't decided what we're going to do yet so it definitely won't be any time soon.
(2024-01-07, 12:03)Hitcher Wrote: And so does Plex but they both use different methods! We haven't decided what we're going to do yet so it definitely won't be any time soon.

Likewise Mezzmo supports versions too and also in a different fashion. I raised this issue early on about how the sharing solutions will integrate with the new Kodi feature.  Each sharing solution will need to decide whether to integrate their existing approaches into this new Kodi feature or leave them separate.  I'd suspect the near term is that this new Kodi feature will be be most attractive to the stand-alone Kodi instances and then over time the sharing solution integration questions will get sorted out.  I am watching this thread closely and waiting for the dust to settle to see what makes sense for the Mezzmo Kodi addon.. 

The biggest challenge for integration for a number of sharing solutions that run their own centralized databases  (maybe not MySQL) will be trying to manage the movie versions from Kodi vs. the current centralized methods pushing them out to the Kodi clients.  I don't see an easy way to propagate upstream changes from Kodi into a Plex, Jellyfin, Mezzmo etc.. database.  It is unlikely those SOAP. API and similar calls exist. But that isn't a huge issue.  it is no different than playcounts, bookmarks and similar today.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-07, 12:03)Hitcher Wrote:
(2024-01-07, 08:36)olevelo Wrote: Jellyfin already has established methods of both Video Versions and Extras
And so does Plex but they both use different methods! We haven't decided what we're going to do yet so it definitely won't be any time soon.
Yeah but who cares about Plex?  Wink
I really like the new Movie Versions feature but some functionality could be made improved

The "Settings>Media>Videos>Library Section>Show video with multiple versions as folder" item defines whether the pop-up window or folder is shown.  I like the new pop-up but it provides no information about the versions (duration, resolution, etc.)  This can influence a selection, esp. the duration.  Can this be added (i.e., can the file information tags at the bottom of the screen be active for each selection even when using this pop-up window)?

Turning this on (viewing as a folder) does provide this information about the movie to be watched but if the movie selected has Extras then using this view is now a complete mess.  Everything, the movie versions and all extras, are shown all together.  It would be better if the folder view only showed the movie versions with a some other way to view the extras (e.g., a folder that says Extras or some other way to get to the Extras)

The interaction of "Settings>Media>Videos>Library Section>Show video with multiple versions as folder" coupled with "Settings>Media>Videos>All Section>Default select action" is now broken:

If "Show video with multiple versions as folder" is OFF and "Default select action" is Information it creates odd extra clicks.
  1. select a movie with multiple versions - the versions pop-up appears
  2. select the movie version - the information page appears
  3. select play - you're back to the pop-up showing the movie versions
  4. select the movie to play and now it plays (at this point is doesn't matter which version is selected, it'll play whatever is selected)
At step 3 the selected movie should just play.

If "Show video with multiple versions as folder" is ON and "Default select action" is Information it doesn't work at all
  1. select a movie with multiple versions - the folder appears
  2. select anything in the folder - nothing happens
A press and hold to get the menu and from the menu selecting Play will play the movie.  There's no way to get to the Information screen.
As work on this feature is very active, with PR's being submitted everyday, when reporting issues, please also provide the exact build you are testing with.
Simply copying the installer filename is enough. eg... KodiSetup-20240107-caa9d53c-master-x64.exe

Of course ensure you are using the absolute latest version available in the master branch... https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2024-01-08, 00:27)zoopere Wrote: The "Settings>Media>Videos>Library Section>Show video with multiple versions as folder" item defines whether the pop-up window or folder is shown.  I like the new pop-up but it provides no information about the versions (duration, resolution, etc.)  This can influence a selection, esp. the duration.  Can this be added (i.e., can the file information tags at the bottom of the screen be active for each selection even when using this pop-up window)?

That's a skin issue.  The Estuary Mod skin I use just recently added it.  I'm sure it will similarly be added with other skins as things move along.
(2024-01-08, 00:27)zoopere Wrote: The "Settings>Media>Videos>Library Section>Show video with multiple versions as folder" item defines whether the pop-up window or folder is shown.  I like the new pop-up but it provides no information about the versions (duration, resolution, etc.)  This can influence a selection, esp. the duration.  Can this be added (i.e., can the file information tags at the bottom of the screen be active for each selection even when using this pop-up window)?
Already added:

(2024-01-08, 00:27)zoopere Wrote: Turning this on (viewing as a folder) does provide this information about the movie to be watched but if the movie selected has Extras then using this view is now a complete mess.  Everything, the movie versions and all extras, are shown all together.  It would be better if the folder view only showed the movie versions with a some other way to view the extras (e.g., a folder that says Extras or some other way to get to the Extras)
Fixed.

(2024-01-08, 00:27)zoopere Wrote: The interaction of "Settings>Media>Videos>Library Section>Show video with multiple versions as folder" coupled with "Settings>Media>Videos>All Section>Default select action" is now broken:
Also fixed.

(2024-01-08, 00:27)zoopere Wrote: If "Show video with multiple versions as folder" is ON and "Default select action" is Information it doesn't work at all
Also fixed.

Please install a nightly build for the latest version of video versions. Wink
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[New Feature] Movie version1